free website stats program How is your Harley in cold weather? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How is your Harley in cold weather?

Took a 200 mile trip to visit a friend in the hospital, it was 19 degrees out when I left the house. The bike ran just fine.

I always let it warm up, especially as it gets colder. There are differant types of metal used on the motor and each one heats up and expands at differant rates. If you don't let the motor warm up at idle you risk blowing gaskets and seals.

Good rule of thumb is to let it warm up until you can feel heat with your had 2 inches away from the head.

My bike loves the cooler air. It even sounds a little different when I twist on the throttle, or maybe it's just my imagination. Either way it runs great.

Mine also. Mine loves the extra oxygen and really eats it up. There is no doubt the engine puts out more H.P. None whatsoever.

No problem in the cold weather. She runs like a top. But I do have to say...she never gets below 40deg in my heated garage so she warms up pretty quick.
:cheers

Went for a 100 mile run yesterday and the temp was 30 degrees. It ran fine but took 15 miles to get the oil temp up to 200. I took it real easy till the oil temp got up.

Went for a 100 mile run yesterday and the temp was 30 degrees. It ran fine but took 15 miles to get the oil temp up to 200. I took it real easy till the oil temp got up.

30*???? Geezer your a better man than me!!!:worthy

2010 super glide......runs the same as it does when its warm! I do let it warm up for about 2 minutes and take it real easy on her for the first couple of miles just to be on the safe side and let everything expand and heat up. As far as my comfort goes (this is my first season riding a bike) I prefer 50 degree temps as the perfect riding weather!

I wouldn't say that. I haven't had the chance to ride lately and summers are short here so any sunny day will do as long as the roads don't have ice on them.

Getting cold here in Michigan, but still riding and the bike runs great! Just takes a bit to warm up. This morning was a bit nippy, but this evening should be nice. Tomorrow just might be my last ride of the year because Sunday I am off to Atlanta for two weeks. When I get back we could be dealing with snow!

Back