free website stats program How is your Harley in cold weather? | Harley Davidson Forums

How is your Harley in cold weather?

She takes a while to warm up, but after that no problem from 0 on up to T shirt weather. Unless I leave the enricher out too long and foul the plugs.

South east Virginia (humid)
93 Heritage w/stock motor
Tear drop air cleaner
Cycle shack Drags w/anti reversion cones

The nature of a 4cycle engine... it runs better after it warms up a bit. Take it easy on it for the first few miles, things are tight. :s

Only ridded in low-mid 30's so far, but after a few minute warm-up she's good to go. No sputtering, pausing, hiccup, etc...that's the beauty of EFI. Now, my 05 XL1200 Sporty (carb) was a different animal. Pretty cold blooded for the 1st few miles, even after warm-up, and a few "hesitations" along the way when riding. I didn't have a tuner (Stage-1 & pipes) which would've helped a bit to fine tune these out. Overall - very pleased w/the 09 FLHX in hot & cold weather riding.

My bike loves the cooler air. It even sounds a little different when I twist on the throttle, or maybe it's just my imagination. Either way it runs great.

The '94FLSTC carb. likes to be warmed up a couple of min. before we take off, than runs fine. The '05FLTRI FI settles right down after 10 or 20 sec., but I let it run a couple of min to warm up and it really likes the cool mornings. I guess we are talking relative temps. because here in FL. we don't get much like my northern friends. Now the rider is a different story, I don't run real well in the cold.

Fine as far as mechanical/motor issues. If you are pushing it, temp does make a difference on tire grip, but most and my riding style it is not a factor. Only something to think about in are panic braking situation or evasive manuever.
But, riding is much more about your senses, and the definition of "cold" is different for everyone. I think eveyone probably has the perfect temperture/speed/gear that they individually love to be riding it at various times of the year. For me and full leathers, it is about 40 degrees in Maryland.

I bring this up because how comfortable I feel impacts how I interpret the handling of the bike and how I react. When it feels my personal "perfect", I feel really tuned into the throttle and suspension. Sometimes perception is reality.:)

Back