free website stats program How does this thing work? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How does this thing work?

That happens to me on occasion too and you're right, it's embarrassing! After I miss second gear I remind myself, as you have alluded to, to be more assertive when upshifting. That is until I forget the next time and it happens all over again! :p

When I miss a shift on my Dyna, it's usually because my foot forgets to let the lever return to center position from the previous shift.
This may be due to the tremendous "G" forces the Evo develops :bigsmiley30: or that I'm just having too much fun to remember.

I also have an FXDC and had to learn about shifting from 2nd to neutral. It is a very light touch when still rolling going from 2nd to neutral. When I change the fluids I noticed a change when shifting. Every bike has its own personality but what you have explained when shifting sounds pretty much exactly like mine. It does take practice to learn your transmission and shifting. As you learn your ride you will learn the characteristics of your shifting. From what you are explaining it does not sound like you have a malfunction going on. I am glad you ask questions about your new ride when you are not sure about things. I have had several people on this forum help me with many questions. When you change your fluids do some research on the forum. Tons of great info. Keep riding and enjoy.

An update on my Harley Davidson edumahcation . . .haha!:bigsmiley30: I noticed a couple of days ago, that my left mirror seemed really loose, and the time that I rode before that I noted that the mirror just didn't seem to stay were I adjusted it. Some of you probably see where this is going . . . well embarrassingly enough, it appears that I didn't go over my bike well enough for my first ride. On my 2011 FXDC, and perhaps many other bikes as well, the mirror and the clutch lever assembly share the same clamp that locks the both to the handlebar so they don't move. Well, short story short - mine wasn't. I dropped on by the friendly neighborhood advance auto parts, which was closest to me while I was riding but they didn't have an SAE hex driver on loan - so I bought one. I adjusted this clamp so that it 'looked' similar in set up to my brake side, adjusted my mirror (which stayed this time!) and went on my way. Just today on my ride this evening (they have a calming effect), I grabbed both mirror shafts and firmly attempted to move them. So far so good . . . it appears that because that clamp was loose, I was probably loosing the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch (or more?) of lever play on the clutch. Once this wasn't tightened down, my success in attempting a shift from 1st to N and 2nd to N while parked greatly increased! Sheesh - moron alert! Oh well . . . chalk that one up to experience . . ..fortunately I caught it before disaster (or REAL embarrassment!) struck . . .

Mark - Thanks!:wall:newsmile105:

Good find Mark. The simple things are so easily overlooked. You mentioned buying a "hex" (allen) driver to tighten the clamp. Unless they changed things in '11, the clamp screws should be "torx". Slightly different shape.

Good Deal Mark, I had a hunch the clutch adjustment was not correct, this looseness is all it would take Good Find:D

Glad you got it fixed Mark. The right setting for the clutch can make all the difference in finding neutral. Plus it takes a bit of practice to get just the right toe pressure up or down.

I've always found that just after pulling in the clutch, bumping the throttle a bit before downshifting speeds the gears up a bit (through the friction of the clutch) and makes it go in smoother with less clunk.

Harleys are constant mesh which tend to have more of a clunk than the syncromesh of some metrics. The first bike I had in 1965 was a Honda which had constant mesh. We all did the throttle bump back then.

You might be surprised that there is friction in the clutch still even with the clutch lever pulled in, but there is some. That's why when you initially pull in the clutch (while idling in neutral) to put the bike in 1st, if you don't wait a few seconds on the clutch inercia to slow, the bike will jump a bit when you clunk it into 1st.

In fact on real cold mornings if you try starting the engine in 1st with the clutch pulled in the bike will actually lurge forward.

Hmm . . . . if that's the case then is the ease in which I can shift from 2nd to N while I'm slowing to a stop a sign that a possible malfunction exists?
Mark
Glad you found your problem but I'd never put the bike in neutral when slowing for a stop.
Why?
You have no control in neutral.

I want the bike to be ready for a quick defensive move in case of a rear-ender. I always watch my mirrors at a stop and postion the bike to either the left or right wheel lane. Never in the middle of the trunk!
Be prepared for evasive action at all times.
1st gear w/clutch lever pulled while stopped and running.

Had a guy get pushed into the back of a truck while someone was on their cell phone. Only a block from the Harley dealer. Wife was in the other lane. Saw her husband get crushed.

Have some safe rides (and rain-free.)
Tailwinds.....

Glad you found your problem but I'd never put the bike in neutral when slowing for a stop.
Why?
You have no control in neutral.

I want the bike to be ready for a quick defensive move in case of a rear-ender. I always watch my mirrors at a stop and postion the bike to either the left or right wheel lane. Never in the middle of the trunk!
Be prepared for evasive action at all times.
1st gear w/clutch lever pulled while stopped and running.

Had a guy get pushed into the back of a truck while someone was on their cell phone. Only a block from the Harley dealer. Wife was in the other lane. Saw her husband get crushed.

Have some safe rides (and rain-free.)
Tailwinds.....

You are right . . . I need to make sure I'm in first when I'm at stop . . . I guess the only reason why I can think of not to is if I'm waiting at a train crossing everyone is already settled in for the wait. Thanks for the great advice . . . they went over this in my class as well . . . thickness here sometimes just don't get it! Haha!

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile105:

Good Deal Mark, I had a hunch the clutch adjustment was not correct, this looseness is all it would take Good Find:D

Thanks for your help (and everyone else too!) I should of listened a bit closer . . .I didn't put the mirror not staying place and the bracket/clutch together until it really started to wobble . . .:wall

Mark -Thanks!

This is the first Harley i've owned [11 T/G] out of 10 or so other bikes over the years, And if i didn't need to get it in neutral to engage reverse, I'll rarely use neutral.
That said after 6 thousand miles it's getting easier or I'm getting the knack of it. But i still have to go to second then down to neutral.

Back