free website stats program How does this thing work? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How does this thing work?

How much freeplay do you have at the clutch lever?
As opposed to some reports of earlier models with hydraulic clutches, my clutch has a very smooth transition and I'm able to easily smooth in and out the application of power. Even as a new/old driver, I've yet to stall the engine for any reason. There is very little freeplay at the beginning of the clutch levers travel. I'm very happy with the 2011 FXDCs' clutch . . . Its just that moving from 1st or 2nd to Neutral is a very 'fine' operation . . . I've tried 'choking' up on the shift pedal by having the pedal bar closer to my leg than to my toes . . . that helps a little - but not much.

Mark - Thanks!

================================================

I had the same problem with my bike...But after the dealer changed all the fluids after the 1K, it dropped in nicely...No problems since...I believe you will probably find the same thing, just get past the first break in period and all should be good...

Cool - perhaps it will mostly clear itself up when I do my first change. I haven't settled on any specific brands except that I'm going to use the K&N oil filter and synthetics where appropriate. I'm still investigating the various lubricants . . . I'm going to do my own work at least for the oil changes and simple adjustments/inspections.

Mark - Thanks!

I always change to N from 1st if i am having trouble finding N then i raise the revs to about 1500 to 2000 and usually it will get there but if it does not then raise the revs a wee bit let the clutch out till it just starts to bite then flick the gear leaver and it will change to N
the only bike that is a wee bit difficult on getting N is the 94 dyna but the techniques i use have worked for me on many different brands of motorcycle over many years

Brian

Great idea - vary the RPMs' . . . I"ll give this a shot!
Mark - Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but, these trannys are designed such that you should not be able to get to neutral from 2nd, while rolling. From 1st to neutral is OK. If stopped, I still would not trust a neutral indication if I get there from 2nd. It should not take much effort, just a real light touch, to get to neutral from 1st, standing or rolling. In fact, if I am getting it on, I have to be a bit more assertive going from 1st to 2nd, or I will wind up in neutral (embarassing).

Enjoy,
Rich P

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but, these trannys are designed such that you should not be able to get to neutral from 2nd, while rolling. From 1st to neutral is OK. If stopped, I still would not trust a neutral indication if I get there from 2nd. It should not take much effort, just a real light touch, to get to neutral from 1st, standing or rolling. In fact, if I am getting it on, I have to be a bit more assertive going from 1st to 2nd, or I will wind up in neutral (embarassing).

Enjoy,
Rich P

Hmm . . . . if that's the case then is the ease in which I can shift from 2nd to N while I'm slowing to a stop a sign that a possible malfunction exists?

Mark

Enjoy,
Rich P

I know my '92 will not go into neutral from 2nd at anything over a roll (and the owners manual states such), but my '07 will go into neutral easily from 2nd at any speed I have tried. My owners manual says "gear shifting mechanism permits shifting into neutral from 1st or 2nd".
I don't know what year the no neutral from 2nd changed.

Last edited:
Hmm . . . . if that's the case then is the ease in which I can shift from 2nd to N while I'm slowing to a stop a sign that a possible malfunction exists?

Mark
I don't know. I suggest that your user's manual will tell you. The previous post suggest that HD changed their philosophy here, when I wasn't looking.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Enjoy,
Rich P

Ya I do that too!! It is embarrassing> Especially when you're tryin to "get on it"! <:small3d015:

Enjoy,
Rich P
That happens to me on occasion too and you're right, it's embarrassing! After I miss second gear I remind myself, as you have alluded to, to be more assertive when upshifting. That is until I forget the next time and it happens all over again! :p

That happens to me on occasion too and you're right, it's embarrassing! After I miss second gear I remind myself, as you have alluded to, to be more assertive when upshifting. That is until I forget the next time and it happens all over again! :p

Yeah, I missed one this evening . . . for some reason I'm thinking its good to be gentle when probably its better to give it a good 'whack' to get it into gear! hahaha!

Mark!

Back