free website stats program How do you keep the ride safe when traveling overnight? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you keep the ride safe when traveling overnight?

Make sure the insurance payment has been made.

:worthyYou aint joking!!! I figuire if they want it bad enough their gonna get it, even if they need 5-6 people to pick it up and "throw" it in the back of a pick-up. I know a few people that have had motorcycles and trailers locked with cables and disc locks and such, and still had them stolen! Its unfortunate, but, it happens.

I went to the black hills last summer, rode 3200 miles in 10 days/nights and all I did was lock the forks/ignition, made sure I had both fobs in the room with me, and of course, paid the insurance before we left for the trip!! And like I said in my other post, all the hotels we stayed at let me park under the awning so the staff had eyes on it!

So keep that full coverage insurance, and maybe buy the GAP insurance like I did just in case!:D

I try to start looking for a place around 3-4 in the afternoon. As some have posted, alot of places will let you park where the bike can be watched if they don't have a room where you can park it front of the room. I also look for a place to stay that has someplace that I would like to eat at near by, this eliminates having to drive the bike somewhere only to get back and find that someone took your preferred parking spot...and if you want to have a few drinks with dinner it eliminates having to drive anywhere.

Unless the bike is bolted down....4 guys with two metal pipes, and a van, can have your bike in 10 seconds. They slip the metal pipe through the wheels, and lift it into the van in one sweep. The alarm won't go off fully until they are driving away. You're best effort is try to park it where you can see it, or under the canopy at the front desk with a little token to the desk jockey, so he remembers you. I try to stay at motels where you can park the bike right next to the front door. I have a "little friend" I travel with, and I pity the thief who will feel the action end of it.

Thorns

HD alarm with smart siren II & rechargable alarm pager , Disk brake lock with alarm & with orange lock reminder cord ( make disk brake lock more visable ) & a cable & lock . I will lock the bike to a light post or similar object , if nothing is available I put the cable through the back wheel and the frame right behind the rear cylnder . The rechargeable pager is small so I clip it to the collar of my T-shirt when I am in the motel room , if the pager goes off it will wake me up . And then :mgun

Hey... just read this on another site...

12 Ways to Prevent Motorcycle Theft - Tech Review - Motorcycle Cruiser

Make Some Noise... Alarms may seem like a good way to attract attention to the fact that someone is attempting to purloin your bike, but in most places we have gotten so used to false alarms that people don't investigate or even bother to look. But everyone pays attention to sounds of destruction—such as breaking glass. A large stack of beer bottles with a trip wire makes a sound that everyone will investigate when it gets tipped over.

Makes sense to me... and I usually have a least a small stack after settling down for the evening!

Thanks all for the info. MainStreetGlide just read other sites stuff, not bad. Kinda makes you look over your shoulder even going home. Takes the fun out of showing off the scoot. Got to be very careful in Calif, according to that site 15% taken in this state. Oh well if it wasn’t so good looking I wouldn’t want it either, Ha Ha. :D

If they want it bad enough its gone, Ill buy a new one

last summer when bike was parked over night - front brake disc lock - steering locked - 3/4 cable thru frame & wheels - 2nd cable around anything bolted down ( awning post - bike rack- stair case, if no security in area - parked in darkest spot possible) out of sight out of mind. both cables have eyes at ends so they can be joined together or looped thru for that little extra length

I use a front disc lock, lock the forks, lock the ignition, cable through the back wheel with very beefy lock and alarm system. I also cover the bike with a nondescript cover. Bottom line..trust nobody and your bike will remain "your bike"

Back