free website stats program Horns | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Horns

My theory is that I ride like I am invisible. So the usage of my horn is very minimal. I agree riding defensively is the best measure you can take.

I agree defensive driving is way more important than a loud horn.

Though it can't hurt to have another tool at your disposal.

I like loud pipes!

Agree w/others - honking horn in situation is lower priority...below thinking & reacting/evasive excape. Also, sometimes sounding the horn makes things worse b/c the other driver "freaks" and over reacts. Overall - I avoid using horn, unless I'm trying to get someone's attn.

Have to admit, horns are an alert device more useful "--after the reason or fault for using it". But on the rare occasion that you see a hazard rapidly coming up, it can get the other person's attention, but again usually not with enough lead time, unless the hazard is more than seven to ten seconds away.

I upgraded to a Howards Horn also and while it has utility and has been effective on two occasions, it was defensive driving tactics that were primary means of avoiding the incident. Had pretty much completed the evasive measure prior to hittin the horn.

Recently had some guy decide he wanted the lane I was in on the highway. I avoided his intrusion by driving defensively. I thought about hitting my horn, but the whole incident was over before I could 'think' about getting my thumb on the button.

I hate when they flip me off and worse yet they drive more aggressive so I look for escape route instead and avoid the cages trying my patience JMO

Sorry for the late addition to this thread but I have something to add.

I discovered my horn wasn't working while in Daytona for Biketoberfest. Didn't seem to be a big deal in Daytona since I was always in a "pack" of bikes and drivers seemed pretty aware of all the bikes in town.

We went over to the in-laws for a day or two and then I drove 420 miles up I-75 with my wife following in the car. Several times a driver decided to attempt to share my lane with me and a horn would have come in real handy. I easily slowed down or moved over in every case but a quick tap of the horn would have helped the drivers know I was there since they obviously did not see me.

As most have said, a horn isn't going to change a driver's actions if they're already committed and you're definitely better off focusing on your avoidance maneuver. However, there are many situations where the horn can get you noticed before the avoidance maneuver becomes necessary.

I am sure they would if there was a way to activate them when your brain says HORN. Hitting a button with your left thumb is almost a waste of time when you really need it. I thought about ways to activate the horn in an emergency with some other way but I just can't come up with something that works well in all situations.

I really need something that triggers off seeing the whites of my eyes!! :p
Well stated. True and to the point!

i try to avoid city and interstate riding, get out on the backroads and enjoy the ride. try to use the bike for recreation, not for transportation.

Back