free website stats program Hooking up a garmin | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hooking up a garmin

I use a Ram Mount to mount mine to the handle bars. It has several swival points to enable you to adjust the mounting position, and is rock steady.
IMG_0042.jpg

http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/...E JUNE 2010/?action=view&current=IMG_0042.jpg

i have the same mount they are great, very stable...oh yea and i haven't been caught speeding by Joy....:newsmile036:

Careful hooking up them Garmin's and such... I've heard of guys wiring them in direct, bypassing the adapter plug, kills 'em.

Careful hooking up them Garmin's and such... I've heard of guys wiring them in direct, bypassing the adapter plug, kills 'em.

I use the car wire that comes with the Garmin. But I cut off the male end, and wire it to a fused switch. I've been running it that way since '05 with no problems. I'll bet the people that had problems didn't use a fuse.

Gotta watch out for Joyflyin, she's an observant little lady.

I use the car wire that comes with the Garmin. But I cut off the male end, and wire it to a fused switch. I've been running it that way since '05 with no problems. I'll bet the people that had problems didn't use a fuse.

I'd read a post a couple years ago on ADV, some guy had wired one direct and fried it. Turned out that his ran on 6vdc or some such, was the connector that reduced the voltage. Maybe a different brand than Garmin, I dunno.A fellow might just want to read up and see what theirs requires

I'd read a post a couple years ago on ADV, some guy had wired one direct and fried it. Turned out that his ran on 6vdc or some such, was the connector that reduced the voltage. Maybe a different brand than Garmin, I dunno.A fellow might just want to read up and see what theirs requires

The key is to disassemble the male end first to see if there's any type of voltage reducing device in there. In my wire there was nothing so I felt safe in doing it. Also, at least on the two Garmin's that I've had, you have two power jacks. One for vehicle 12 volt (cig lighter) and one for computer 5 volt (mini usb) power. If you hook the mini up to your battery, yep, it gets fried.

I have the fairing mount from HD on my UC for my Garmin 550, it's wired into the bikes electric system so it goes off with the ignition. Got everything from the dealership, only problem is if you're tall like me it blocks part of the gas gage. The wire connecting GPS to the radio is the coiled type so it stays out of the way.

Back