free website stats program Hooking up a garmin | Harley Davidson Forums

Hooking up a garmin

TommyB

Hi gang,

I'm new to the site. I was just at the local Harley Dealer in Naples, Fl. According to the dealer, I can hook up my new garmin 2555LMT gps to my 2007 Ultra classic radio, through a jack on the front of the radio. The dealer says I have to get the cable from Garmin. Does anyone know what cable I need to make this hookup? I could also use advice on a good handlebar mount bracket for the 2555lmt.

Thanks,

TommyB

On my Zumo 550 the unit sits in a cradle and connects to the radio with a cable that has 3.5 mm jacks these can be purchased at best buy walmart or radio shack. I power up with the lighter outlet this item needs to be purchased from garmin or kennedy and can also be found on ebay.

gps640.jpg

This is a picture from my old bike, but my Road King is set up the same. I hooked a cigarette lighter outlet to the back of my windshield and used a RAM mount on the handlebars.

I never use the cigarette lighter with the various items that
need power with the power plugs that are provided.

Generally, the power plugs are designed for use in a car. Length doesn't matter in a car.

On the bike, a good left turn will hit the tank with the power plug.

A lot of the units can be powered with a USB cord. I bought a USB plug for the cigarette lighter. It doesn't have the same length (shorter) and using a USB cord, I'm able to mount my GPS without tank interference.

I don't need an expensive dent in my Ultra tank.

I'm not familiar with that model Garmin, but does it have FM transmitter capabilities? If so you don't need a cable/cord, just set it up to use a FM frequency on your bikes radio.
Edit: Doing it this way would preclude being able to use your radio for music at the same time.

If your radio has the standard 3.5 mm 'audio in' jack, and your Garmin has
the same for 'audio out', then you should be able to pick up the cable at most any electronics store.

I use a Ram Mount to mount mine to the handle bars. It has several swival points to enable you to adjust the mounting position, and is rock steady.

IMG_0042.jpg

I used a mount by Küryakyn $49 and modified H-D Accessory Outlet $19 and modified Battery Tender pigtail $9 (it is fused, but reverses polaarity at the opposite end so be careful) and mounted it so it would clear without interferance (Gussotto makes a very good point, so always double check your work).

DSCN0788-1.jpg

On the bike, a good left turn will hit the tank with the power plug.

There are a series of bolts on the windshield. You can place the power plug dead center if you want to.

Back