free website stats program Honestly, I'm a Bit Disappointed With Stage I | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Honestly, I'm a Bit Disappointed With Stage I

The means of controlling the throttle body (DBW or cables) shouldn't effect the performance when speaking of a stage 1 upgrade. It will add roughly 10-12 HP to the basic engine and should be noticable after installing the complete stage 1.

Just like you Doc, when I did mine, the biggest difference was the engine temp followed by the upper RPM performance.

Well, hopefully this thread will enlighten folks and keep them from getting unrealistically high expectations about the performance part of the Stage I upgrade.

I didn't get a big increase in power either but I wasn't expecting it. Runs much better and cooler though and I'm glad I did it.

Doc,
Throttle by wire does have some "Throttle Progressivity" which does limit how much the butterfly will open vs the grip. This is what you may be feeling. (? maybe).

Once 2500 RPM is reached, the ratio between grip and butterfly is 1:1 (just like cable drive)

But if you are at 2000 RPM with the twist grip at 100% open, the butterfly is only 69% open.

Even worse at 1750 RPM, a grip of 100% only yields a 54% butterfly.

I have the complete chart if you want it posted.

Doc,
Throttle by wire does have some "Throttle Progressivity" which does limit how much the butterfly will open vs the grip. This is what you may be feeling. (? maybe).

Once 2500 RPM is reached, the ratio between grip and butterfly is 1:1 (just like cable drive)

But if you are at 2000 RPM with the twist grip at 100% open, the butterfly is only 69% open.

Even worse at 1750 RPM, a grip of 100% only yields a 54% butterfly.

I have the complete chart if you want it posted.

Hoop,

That is what I was referring to in post #12. I'm just not smart enough to understand it :D

Hoop,

That is what I was referring to in post #12. I'm just not smart enough to understand it :D

I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it. I am cable drive so I tend to forget about things like that. Glad you brought it up because maybe that is some of what Doc is feeling...

BTW, it is something that you can change by programming the ECM.

my bike came with se `a/c and se slip ons , so when i did the tfi iwas happy with it running cooler .friend just had a stage one done with a power commander , he already had pipes ,had it dyno cost him over 8 hundred ,have not riden with him yet to hear his opion on it . but he is one that does not touch a wrench

Well, hopefully this thread will enlighten folks and keep them from getting unrealistically high expectations about the performance part of the Stage I upgrade.

Like the guys said Doc for a minimal amount if you install a fuel management system it'll give you alot better throtle response and a little more pulling power. I'm using the Cobra on my bike, wich is also an 08 and it seems to get the job done.

Thanks everyone - I was afraid I was the only one that wasn't 100% thrilled with Stage I results. I'm glad I did it mainly for the cooler running engine and the better sound.

I'm not a fan of the 2 into 1 look on a bagger so that's not an option for me. I'll have to consider the headers vs. cams issue - thanks Hobbit. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike and I'm very happy with how it rides right now. I'm not looking to enter any drag races anytime soon!

Just doing the cams on a 2008 bike shouldn't be that big a deal, right? I watched TQ's slide show on his engine build so that gives me some confidence.

Do the 2008 TC's have roller chain or gear driven cams?
Your cams are chain driven.
One of the things your 08 and my 07 suffer from is the gearing. It's too tall.
There aren't any real easy solutions but you might consider a change to get you in a better rpm range. The problem was somewhat corrected in 09 or 10.

My quess would be that you just aren't twisting the throttle fast enough. The TFI won't kick in with extra fuel unless you are rather aggressive. Same for the Stage 1 aircleaner. Open up that throttle and you should feel the extra 10-12 ponies begin to run. Try hitting around 4000 rpm in second-third-fourth gears. Not slowly, just crank and hold on my good man. If you drive like my granny does, you will never feel it.

Back