free website stats program Homemade Engine Guard Covers | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Homemade Engine Guard Covers

Looking mighty fine there Randall. I noticed when looking at previous post of another pair of chaps for the engine guards they used snaps...may be easier on and off, just make sure you use high nickel content stainless hardware if possible...and look into "water-resistant" oil tanning to minimize drying affects...just my 2 cents.

Here's an example of some others.

f4_12_sb.JPG

What company makes this type? Please respond.

These are kind of simular to a pair I bought long ago for my Roadking. Those were sold at the HD shop. Thanks for posting the image.

Randall; I can't tell you what brand those pictured are, but I recently bought a set made by 'Roadspirit' for $45 shipped. They are velcro attached, and fit into a manilla envelope size packet. You can see these and others on ebay, search "harley soft lowers", several different brands.

Re: Homemade Engine Guard Covers (update)

My engine guard covers are for the most part DONE. In fact I just slapped them on and went for the maiden voyage. It was I dare say barely above freezing outside. I didn't even get out on the high way and a little sprinkle started...off and on. I got the machine up to 60 mph. RESULT: I can tell that they do work. Hence I am not getting near as much winter wind turbulence on me as I was. Also with the profile of the engine guard and the panels being slightly "baggy" on the bars I noticed that these leather panels slant towards the engine. I rejoice in that because the moving air will get diverted and funneled to the engine better.

I'd still like to figure out a way to put some wind deflectors on the Fork below the windshield. I took a wind deflector off of my Roadking to see if there was some way I could use them and I just don't think I can do any modifications for them to work. (any ideas) As I have said before I don't know of any wind deflectors made for a Deluxe model.

Ok I bought two of these patches at the HD shop on sale. When you hold them up against a leather backdrop they sure look nifty. :) Hence I'm thinking about sewing one on each one of my covers to give them a nostalgic embellishment. I know there will be issues of keeping them clean, but since these will not be on during warm weather I don't have to worry about "bugs laying in corpse". :D

This whole project has been very time consuming. If I had found some cheap plastic covers I would probably of just passed on making these.

Images to come when covers are totally completed.
hd-patch.jpg

Good job Randall. I like the idea of putting the patches on. I look forward to your final pic's.

OK, this may be the final result...huff puff. Each leather panel is attached using 7 short straps with chrome roller buckles.

soft-lowers-4-c.jpg

In this image I have my machine on a stand upright, hence you can see both covers.

For the sake of this discussion, I would appreciate any opinons on my project. I'm an old buzzard so feel free to speak your peace. :s
soft-lowers-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job Randall. how about some pics of the driver side view so we can see the buckles.

Thanks.

As requested: is this suitable?
soft-lowers-5-c.jpg

Good job Randall. how about some pics of the driver side view so we can see the buckles.

As requested...here is a better image of the open roller buckle proper. On the eight day the Lord created, "roller buckles".:s
buckle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back