free website stats program Homemade Engine Guard Covers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Homemade Engine Guard Covers

will my lovely V-Twin 96B get enough air on it to keep it cool, while riding in weather perhaps in the 30 and 40 degree range (farhenheit).
Without first viewing your pictures (hint hint) installing guards located on the sides of the engine might actually increase engine airflow. They will form a high pressure area, and considering the engine is in a low pressure area behind the front wheel, the guards could direct more air inward through the center of the bike.

It will not take much 40F airflow to keep the engine cool. In fact, I doubt the oil will even reach normal operating temperature at highway speeds. Look at the big rigs, they block off their radiators in cold weather.

UPDATE: Soaked leather panels in a sink of warm water until slimy.

Now I will pat them dry with a towel.
Next these we panels will be attached to the engine guards using large pinch clamps. I will position the panels in a manner that the edges of them roll over the bars toward the rear of the cycle.
After they are where I want them I will use a couple of hand hair dryers to blow them dry or let them dry over night.
Upon being dry when I remove the clamps the leather panels should be formed (dry leather of this thickness has a memory to stay where it "was", *like a pistol holster*.)

It is my intention to take a photo of these while clamped up on the engine guards, to shed addtional light on the subject. Photo will be added to this thread, (hopefully)!

Engine guard cover project image:

soft-lower-2.jpg

I don't know how to put duplicate images on one post :newsmile030:

I started out trying to dry the leather panel with two hand held hair dryers, but it was taking to much time. Hence I drug out my 40,000 btu Kerosense space heater and aimed it at the panel, as shown in image.

It was dry in about and hour.

soft-lower-3.jpg

I'm out in the garage working on this and my little Hen come out into the garage, bringing me coffee. She seen what I was doing and said, "My goodness! why don't ya just go ahead and buy a Full Dresser? Doing all of that stuff...."

Then came the discussion: I reminded her that I didn't want a Full Dresser at the moment, and furthermore IF I wanted one I would go and bag it hence I didn't need her telling me what model of Harley to be buying.:25:

My little Hen headed back from whence she came but added as she departed, "do you really think those things are going to work?"

I replied; "I reckon." :newsmile030:

soft-lower-4.jpg

Very funny Randall. Thanks for the visuals, keep us updated as I would love to see the finished product.

Very funny Randall. Thanks for the visuals, keep us updated as I would love to see the finished product.

You are most welcome.

Headed to the leather shop to buy additional roller buckles. There will be 6 small buckle straps on each panel equally spaced to secure them to the round metal bars proper. I thought about using Vel-Kro, but that would make it easier for someone to rip them off. Also the buckle straps will give the panels a utilitarian embellished look.:D

I'll need a big bottle of black leather dye and some more Atom Wax. I am very anxious to get these done and see how they work.

Back