free website stats program Homemade Breakout Box | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Homemade Breakout Box

Can you identify all of the connectors for us and what you are using each one for? I am going to build one and have read through the electric diagnostic manual and those connectors are not cheap to not be getting the right ones. I have an old 25 line break out box I am going to convert for this. Any and all help on the connectors would be greatly appreciated.

A cheaters cheap method for a breakout box (which I use for work all the time since I work with so many different connectors..) is to get male and female pins, no connectors, put a wire into a male pin, crimp it on, then slide some heatshrink over the crimp section to prevent shorts. Do the same for the female pin, now you should have a male and a female pin, each of which has a wire coming off. you can twist the wire together and have a connection point, but thats a bit of a pain and you run the risk of shorts, so what I did was take some spade butt splices, cut the shielding out of the middle on one side of each (M/F), this way you can put them together without worrying about shorts but still have access with a multimeter lead and if you cut the plastic shield right it will hold your lead in place for you. Not nearly as nice as the breakouts that you guys have done, but for a universal "dollar store" solution I've found it works wonders.

A cheaters cheap method for a breakout box (which I use for work all the time since I work with so many different connectors..) is to get male and female pins, no connectors, put a wire into a male pin, crimp it on, then slide some heatshrink over the crimp section to prevent shorts. Do the same for the female pin, now you should have a male and a female pin, each of which has a wire coming off. you can twist the wire together and have a connection point, but thats a bit of a pain and you run the risk of shorts, so what I did was take some spade butt splices, cut the shielding out of the middle on one side of each (M/F), this way you can put them together without worrying about shorts but still have access with a multimeter lead and if you cut the plastic shield right it will hold your lead in place for you. Not nearly as nice as the breakouts that you guys have done, but for a universal "dollar store" solution I've found it works wonders.
This would generally work, but the risk of incorrect connection is very high, since you ar responsible for making each individual connection. loaded connectors would ensure proper connections. I'm not criticizing your approach...just adding a note for the need for special care.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Hey did any one get the pin connector part numbers for the one VT biker made this thing is going to be a life saver ok at least a wallet saver

It's a bummer that you need 120+ posts just to download what you made. I'm sure more riders would "want to know". Many of us follow other threads and communities that do not have such hard rules to see what others are doing. Just my rambling thoughts.

Reply: No, didn't want it for nothing. Just found the forum again and don't really know if I have that many worthwhile contributions/questions that have not been answered. But I will see where I might make valuable inputs. Thanks

Reply: No, didn't want it for nothing. Just found the forum again and don't really know if I have that many worthwhile contributions/questions that have not been answered. But I will see where I might make valuable inputs. Thanks
Welcome back. As for positive contributions, you don't need to be a wrench to make them. All you need to do is be around, and be friendly. Meanwhile, someone just might need an idea that you have available. You never know.

If there is something that you really need, and you are not just a drive-by (I take your word that you are not), there are times when you can ask a moderator real nice and they might could (Texas speak for "just may") grant an indulgence. No promises on my part, but I have seen it happen around here.

Enjoy,
Rich P

It's a bummer that you need 120+ posts just to download what you made. I'm sure more riders would "want to know". Many of us follow other threads and communities that do not have such hard rules to see what others are doing. Just my rambling thoughts.

Our rules are in place for very good reason and they have served this entire community well for quite a while.

As Tank tried to point out, I think you're confusing downloads with links - I see nothing but links and highly detailed posts in this particular Self Help thread. No need to download anything to make your breaker box.

Back