free website stats program Holes in Windshield for Buffeting? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Holes in Windshield for Buffeting?

If you were to drill holes where would you drill them in relation to the passing lights (05 Heritage) and windshield. I don't have so much a problem with buffetting, but the wind in my ears drives me wacky. I went to a swap meet this week end and bought an old lexan windshield ($5) to experiement with. I assume you would drill holes low on the windshield to reduce back pressure. Also how big a hole and how many?

A budy has a Road King and hated the buffet from below. He ended up buying a peice of flat chrome tin that mounts between the forks under the tripple tree (using the screw that holds the brake line in place). I haven't ridden it but he claims that removed it all. So, you might take that masking tape and mask off about 4 inches between the forks and below the triple tree and see what that does. If it does the trick it would be easy to come up with something to fill the gap.

Personally I love no windshield! But I'm into the old "dog's head out the window" action...

Great Idea, Jim....I'll try that today!

I wonder if this contraption would have an effect...? Anyone have any experience with this? They're primarily for heat deflection but I wonder if they would divert that air thats coming up around the tank...??

KURYAKYN REFLECTIVE SMK SADDLE SHIELDS DYNA 99-10 FXD part# 1317

I found that leaning the windshield back reduced the buffeting on my Street Bob significantly. I made a set of adapters that allow you to set it at pretty much any angle. See the attached link.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/members_tips_for_easy_maintenance/28145-windshield.html

Jake, I've actually made a set of brackets inspired by your post about a week ago and to be honest, I probably haven't tried hard enough to make it work. I had it laid back too far at first. I adjusted it a couple times but there's still some room to work with that, which I will continue to do. Great concept!

Danthern - I have a pair of not sure what they are called, chrome tin louvers that mount to the sides of the forks below the windshield. Mine is a Haritage so no idea if you can find them for your bike. Back when I still used my windshield these things greatly reduced the up-draft in the face.

Thanks Jim....they don't make them for Dynas, not the chrome ones that you're talking about. I had some plastic lowers but they didn't do much. You know, it's nowhere near bad enough to make me even think about not riding...more of a quest now.

Last edited by a moderator:
TI think I'm getting the wind as it splits apound the forks and whips up under the bottom and sides of the tank and then up. If I straighten my legs alongside the tank, the air is calm. A windshield with curved extentions that came around the tank would do the trick.....Hey! Call it a fairing! I remain, baffled by the buffet....

I have had Harley's 91849-85C Convertable windshield on my Dyna for about 15 years. It certainly is NOT a handsome windshield, but it's quite effective. The bottom extends and curves below the tank, and I think that is what helps lessen the buffeting. I think it rivals my Electra Glide for effectiveness. While not a "quick release" I can take it off and on in just a few minutes. I was riding the Dyna this morning, and tuning the shield to my preference. I found the more vertical the shield is, the calmer and larger the pocket of calm air is behind it. BUT there is a tremendous amount of pressure on the brackets/lexan when it's standing nearly straight up. I know, because I tried riding it with the pivot screws slightly loose and adjusting while riding. NOT recommended.
P.S. After 15 years, the tint is starting to flake off of the backside of the shield, but the lexan is not yellowing.

I have had Harley's 91849-85C Convertable windshield on my Dyna for about 15 years. It certainly is NOT a handsome windshield, but it's quite effective. The bottom extends and curves below the tank, and I think that is what helps lessen the buffeting. I think it rivals my Electra Glide for effectiveness. While not a "quick release" I can take it off and on in just a few minutes. I was riding the Dyna this morning, and tuning the shield to my preference. I found the more vertical the shield is, the calmer and larger the pocket of calm air is behind it. BUT there is a tremendous amount of pressure on the brackets/lexan when it's standing nearly straight up. I know, because I tried riding it with the pivot screws slightly loose and adjusting while riding. NOT recommended.
P.S. After 15 years, the tint is starting to flake off of the backside of the shield, but the lexan is not yellowing.

Thank you sir, I'll take a look at that shield. Looks like you and I are neighbors. I'm in Opelika, Al.

I bought a 2009 Softail Heritage this year and after riding for a while got pretty fed up with the double vision, read HD threads on the subject, nothing anyone had done made a difference, well one did, screen tilt.
The Heritage screen is fixed so i opened out the mounting bracket slots by some fair amount on the top bracket, to within a few MM of the slot with the tail of the spring in it and a small amount from the lower slot, out for a ride, windy day but the double vision has gone even up to 70 plus, still a bit of buffeting but much much more comfortable.
Chuft now, the Harley is much more pleasant to ride and cost of mod, big O just a bit of time to file out the brackets, did it with a round file in an electric drill, the angle is just off the angle of the forks, in fact the new Harley Swithback has an angled screen.
I think also if the opening around the headlight is made deeper, this has increased since tilting the screen, would help with more air coming under the screen to kill off some of the low pressure behind the screen, blocking it off makes it worse.

Hope this helps those like me with the double vision syndrome?

Happy riding.

Derek(UK)

I've got a Clearview windshield on order that is 2" over stock. If that doesn't solve my problem, I may try the Kuryakin wind deflectors that have the slots in them.

But I can't handle this buffeting either. It bounces my glasses so bad, sometimes I can't see.

I've got a Clearview windshield on order that is 2" over stock. If that doesn't solve my problem, I may try the Kuryakin wind deflectors that have the slots in them.

But I can't handle this buffeting either. It bounces my glasses so bad, sometimes I can't see.

mmmm not sure what 2" over stock actually is in relation to your scenario but hope it works.

What you will need is to measure 50ft from your headlite straight ahead and place an object on the ground. Then sit on your bike and look at that object. Have your wife, girlfriend, daughter or neighbor hold a measuring tape, (running parallel to the front rake) from the top of the headlite to the point that intersects your vision looking at the object.

That IS the minimum height you will need.

Back