free website stats program High speed cornering mods | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

High speed cornering mods

Harleys will corner better than most people are comfortable with. when i was looking at Killboys website a sportbike rider comented on a picture of a fatboy draging the kickstand. he said "when are harley guys going to learn to get their wieght off the bike". i didnt know what he meant so i got to checking now its like i am a diferent rider. i dont want to encourage this but i practiced on interstate on ramps when i got of work at 5am and other low trafic times.

Do what you think, but I think it would be much safer geting on a bike that was made for speed. I myself would never get a harley to drive fast on. You can do all kinds of mods and spend all kinds of money and you are still wont have sportbike handeling..If I wanted a fast bike, id get a jap bike..But first I would make out a will. Im not trying to tell you what to do,I just dont want you to get hurt. If you want to ride fast mabe you should look into racing on a track where help is near and hopefully you wont hurt someone elce.I understand the need for speed, I drove a race car for 15 years. If you want to go fast, Do it on a race track.....Just saying.:D

Got the same year Glide. Take off all the extras. Bags, sissy bar, floorboards, front turn signals. All of it. Light highway pegs. light solo seat. Make sure your shocks are adjusted for you and you alone. Get a lighter tank (Super Glide), stay with stock tires. Skinny tire up front corners like a champ once you get used to it. Not much stopping power, though.
A stripped-down Glide will roll without spending much. A dolled-up Dyna won't.
And once you've leaned your bike up, you can step right out of it in a crisis, which may come if you're gonna push it to the limit.

I traded my Triumph Daytona 675 to get away from high speed cornering and riding silly taking risks on the road. I bought a Harley to take it easy. Considered a Street Triple but I would have been just as crazy but with no windshield. Just saying that this was me before .....

Donington Park Apr 09

SDI_2213.jpg

Castle Combe May 09

pic2.jpg

this is what Nakkers is on about
Dyna Street Bob

this was chasing a naked sports bike back from matlock - yes he was surprised and NOTHING touched down and all my bikes sit on average 1" lower than stock - im short so they have to so i can get feet on the floor

Ah......You don't see narrow chicken strips like that on a HD very often. :s Very nice sir.

Where there is a will, there is a way. And a wallet and a need for speed and......well, you get the idea......:newsmile01:

I'm impressed - he certainly knows how to ride. Interested as to what bike was at the rear falling behind. Sounded like an inline 4 but obviously naked as it has a bolt on screen.

I bought an 06 Lowrider with 11" Progressive 412's and had the same problem dragging the stock pipes on the right side. Eventually I went to 12.5" Progressive 440's and a 2-1 Supertrap exhaust. This solved the dragging problem.

Switched from sports bike, raced motoX, Riding for 20+ years. Not on the wrong bike. Like my Glide. Everybody Knows standard Harley suspension is rubbish unless you only ride freeways. Wanted to hear what results people had from mods. My tyres dont have any chicken strips. Cheers.

I bought an 06 Lowrider with 11" Progressive 412's and had the same problem dragging the stock pipes on the right side. Eventually I went to 12.5" Progressive 440's and a 2-1 Supertrap exhaust. This solved the dragging problem.

Thanks. I was looking on the Progressive site. I was thinking about raising the rear 1"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back