free website stats program HID Headlight for Touring models | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

HID Headlight for Touring models

I installed a hid bixenon so i have hi and low beam the same as a standard bulb a year ago. It helps this old timer to see much better, at least 50% more light. It uses less power than the std bulb, but i ran a fused power line from the battery. Adjusted right there wont be anyone blinking lights at you. It cost me approx. $75 for the kit with the small ballast. Get the car kit and you will have a spare bulb and ballast.

I used the 80/100 Osram Bulb in my Shovelhead and we currently have them installed in our Streetbob and Fatboy. No issues and a marked improvement in lighting. I would not swap them out for the HID Kits and I gave them a serious look over before installing the Osram in our current bikes.

I installed a hid bixenon so i have hi and low beam the same as a standard bulb a year ago..

This does not make any sense to me. The problems associated with True HID is the light output is not that great until the metals in the bulb vaporize and the internal pressure is near 15 Bar. This takes a good 2 minutes. Therefore when you need the High beam "now" the pressure in the bulb is too low so the light output is low.
Most auto HID systems (Benz, Lexus) actually move the entire capsule with a motor to get High beam. If you look at a standard 9004 bulb, HI beam is achieved by shifting the filament position. Yes the hi beam filament is brighter, but the beam Pattern shift is done with filament shift.

Hoop!

I put Sylvania Silverstar (which I just learned is the Osram) light in my Roadking...Wow... Turned night into day. Still bright during day even (law in Canada Daytime lights on too). Very very happy with those bulbs
:D

Hoop, there is a shifting in the bulb when you go from low to hi beam. You can see it move. The bulbs shifting is controlled by the hi-lo switch on the bike. There is no noticable time lag.

Hoop, there is a shifting in the bulb when you go from low to hi beam. You can see it move. The bulbs shifting is controlled by the hi-lo switch on the bike. There is no noticable time lag.

Wow, so it is 1 capsule with a mechanical shifting of the bulb for Hi beam. That's the way most Hi end auto's are set up. Yes, I agree. There would no lag time with a setup like that.
Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback!...

I seriously doubt these $500 "high intensity discharge" kits are any better than the sub-$100 ones you can purchase from a multitude of internet vendors. Also, do you really need such a bright headlamp? I already get enough people flashing me at night thinking I've got my high-beams on when I don't & I've got the lights set to spec...I'll spend my $$$ on more sensible upgrade options.

The entire design of HID is being missed. Having just an HID arc lamp does you no good. HID will provide a ton more light but it does you no good if the lens & enclosure are not designed to spread that light out. Without the proper lens & enclosure, it is like looking directly into a Mig Welder. Sure you have a TON of light but it does you no good.

I put Sylvania Silverstar (which I just learned is the Osram) light in my Roadking...Wow... Turned night into day. Still bright during day even (law in Canada Daytime lights on too). Very very happy with those bulbs
:D

CBB what number silverstar you use??

Back