free website stats program Heritage Gear Shifting Speeds | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Gear Shifting Speeds

Starting to get a better feel for the shift points. Been super cold in the mornings on the commute (24 this morning) so I have been taking it easy. I do notice that if I am going to be cruising at 50 for a while, I will hit 5th and cruise.

So far, very comfy bike!

I shift when the bike feels good. This will depend on weather and road conditions.

20 to 25 to second
35 or so for third
45 to 50 for forth
55 to 60 for fifth
65 to 70 for sixth.

the heritage really likes 75 in sixth.

Actually the H-D has quite a bit of torque that it is easy to lug the engine, and with the added 6th gear at 70 is probably a better choice for that final upshift, local law enforcement notwithstanding. :D

I guess I'm different, I shift by the rpm's... Usually 2800 to 3k for me...

I would shift by RPMs but without a tach. My ride only has a speedometer, so MPH and feel are the only markers. Lugging is hard on the engine, and really the engine performs better when run up a little bit higher than what the manual states as a guide line. When riding metrics they had rev limiters, but in the case of the H-D revving to redline really does not result in more go, nearly as much as the torque anyway.

Back