free website stats program Heritage Gear Shifting Speeds | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Gear Shifting Speeds

kzoo

Banned
Here is what I have been basically using, am I close or am I too slow?

1st gear to start and no more than like 25mph
2nd up to say 35
3rd up to 45
4th up to 55
5th 55 up

I know I saw a chart somewhere, but can't locate it again.

I jump on it a bit now and then, but still getting used to the ride. Dont want to lug it, but dont want to simply waste gas either!!

Here is what I have been basically using, am I close or am I too slow?

1st gear to start and no more than like 25mph
2nd up to say 35
3rd up to 45
4th up to 55
5th 55 up

I know I saw a chart somewhere, but can't locate it again.

I jump on it a bit now and then, but still getting used to the ride. Dont want to lug it, but dont want to simply waste gas either!!

Pretty close to what I do. Except I run 3rd and 4th out another 5 . The motor just sounds too slow at 55 in 5th.

2007 FLSTC states:
Upshift gear speeds
First to Second 15MPH
Second to Third 25MPH
Third to Fourth 35MPH
Fourth to Fifth 45MPH
Fifth to Sixth 55MPH

Thanks all, seems I am pretty close. Cold this morning so took it pretty easy on her (and me). Hit cruising speed at about 55 and shifted to 5th. Pretty comfy .....

Now if we can get some warm weather where I can actually hear the motor!!!! Ear plugs, helmet, hat, balaclava etc. kinda muffles things

I am pretty sure that the 5 speed and the 6 speed are the same ratios but the 6 speed adds overdrive (.80:1) I know that the average HD driver never comes close to red-line.

In town on flat ground I'll usually take off in first and drift in second. But other than that I run it up. Standing start to highway speed I normally go to 2nd at about 25, then change every 10mph till finally in 6th at 65.

I shift by ear. The sound of the bike tells me when to shift and yes my baby talks to me.:bigsmiley11:

Back