free website stats program Help choosing first bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help choosing first bike

I am pretty sure I will be sort of a local rider, day trips probably being the max. I don't think we would do any weekend trips, if I did, I would probably buy a trailer and take it with me (I am sure that will raise a few eyebrows in this forum - sorry)..

My wife I and do some riding with friends in New Hampshire, in the Lakes Region. We trailer the bike up from Massachusetts because the wife doesn't enjoy the 1 1/2 highway ride on the back of a bike. She prefers riding on scenic back roads, which suits me fine! We rent the trailer from U-Haul for around $15 per day.

Good luck with your rider's course.

really its a flip a coin deal you can always add a radio i did and fairing gonna .. so depends on what ya like the RK is also a bit lower

My wife says to have your wife to take the class with you she will love it. My wife did the class last summer and got a street bob she LOVES it.

I say forget both the Road King and the Electra Glide and start with a Heritage Softail. Nice style, can be ridden 1 or 2 up very easily, very comfortable ride and you can always move up down the road but then again, I am biased as well and I can almost bet the RK and the EG have all the same niceties....

OK...So I was absolutely no help at all. If money isnt an issue, go to the dealership and check out each bike that you like, sit on them and see how they feel....have the salesman hold the bike up while you sit as if you were riding and by all means, after you get legal, and feel somewhat comfortable on a bike, go rent.

I agree with the others about completing the Riders Edge courfse, get your license, then rent some bikes before making your decision. Perhaps you might compromise and go with a Street Glide. It's lowered like the Road King Classic, and has sportier lines than the EGC. It also makes a great bike for either riding around town or hitting the road.

I just started riding 2 years ago myself. I took the MSF course, then bought a Honda cruiser with a windshield to learn on. After about a year, I thought I wanted a RG. After renting one, plus a Street Glide, and riding a RG at a test ride event, I decided to go with the Street Glide and have been completely satisfied with my choice.

Well according to my count, the score is RK=5, EGC=5, Heritage=1.

I went to the HD dealer today and drooled again. I am still leaning towards the RK. I realize I can change the seat and bars, but it seems to fit fine so far. I was reading another thread about seats and I will probably add a softer seat and a rider back rest, yeah, that sounds good.

The instructor at the "About the Bikes" class had a good point "purchase your second bike first". Makes sense but deciding on 2 of them is tough.

Even though getting my wife to go to the class is a great idea, she never will. However, my son (25) will be attending with me. I think my wife may have him watching me so I pay attention!

After the HD dealer I went to a universal dealer. Looked at Star, Kawasaki, Suzuki.:newsmile068:YUK. nothing against them, but they just did not look right to me.

So it is definnatly a Harley - Just have to make up my mind.

You all have given so much insight and personal experiance for me to draw on, that no matter what I decide it will be the right one because of youre help:)

Futurerider I'm 55 and got back toriding a couple of years ago and I got EGC. My son has a RKC. I like the faring but it gets hariy on the interstate around big trucks. The Rk is also a great bike, but I perfer the faring and the tour-pak. The EG seems to have less wind noise from the windshield. The wife really likes the tour-pak back rest. Both bikes are great and happy ridin.:newsmile022::50:

Back