free website stats program Helmets... do you wear one or no? and why? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmets... do you wear one or no? and why?

It appears the TX laws regarding helmets have changed. The Helmet Exemption sticker is obsolete... that explains why I haven't been seeing them. Riders 21 yrs and over can ride helmetless if they can show proof of completing an MC safety course or carry $10K of health insurance. A police officer can not simply pull over a rider for not wearing a helmet.

Steve... not bitter at all imho... the personal reasons for not wearing a helmet are just as interesting\informative as for wearing one... maybe even more so because most of the reasons to wear one are obvious.

I wear a beenie only in Mandatory states, my ride I decide

Ditto Breeze3at!!!

MY CHOICE!!!

After you've been hit by one of these little hardshelled bugs out here in the desert running 60-75mph, wearing a FF, and hear it sound just like a rifle bullet to the face! When that's happened several times it does re-enforce the habit of FF even in the hottest heat.

Then there is the thought of going down too!!!

Last edited:
My lady and I wear leather-covered half-helmets. They match my RKC and don't show scratches and scuffs. That being said, I wear a helmet, because my life was saved by one, many years ago. The helmet was toast, but my head was fine.

I wear a full-face modular when it is cold. As for bugs, I have a fairing or a windshield, whichever I am in the mood for. I have no idea about verification, but I have heard that full-face helmets can snap your neck if you hit just so. I have been recommended to wear a modular, since they will take the face impact, then the face part will snap off, instead of torquing your neck. I'm not gonna test that one, mind you.

As for assumption of risk, we all do that the moment any of us throws a leg over one of our iron horses. There be squirrels in them thar hills, and they be lookin' to drive right out in your path if you don't keep yer eyes peeled. I've learned to spot them, but I just might miss one once in a while. I'll cry out, "Squirrel alert!" Momma will say "Were?" I'll say, "Watch that one." And sure enough, there he'll go. I hate it when folks try to kill me. I'll keep my skid lid. Thanks.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I choose to wear one all the time. Reason is because I have not found a good enough reason to not wear one. I live in a freedom of choice state...

I wear a 3/4 helmet w/full face shield when it is below 40*, raining, hailing, snowing or a lot of bugs. Once in a while if it is real windy I might wear my half helmet. Other than that I wear a skull cap. My thought are if I hit the pavement hard, that extra weight could just as easily snap my neck. Not to mention it has saved my life by not wearing a helmet. I have noticed people doing dumb things that I don't think I would have noticed if I had my 3/4 helmet on, the half helmet doesn't seem to affect me from noticing things, just don't like wearing helmets. Maybe some day I will change my mind but I hope not.

Toby

I guess there are as many answers as there are bikers. I started riding motorcycles as a teenager without a helmet, but I only rode on sand back then. Now that I ride on pavement, and often in freeway traffic, I always wear a helmet. I mostly wear the smallest DOT half helmet I could find. I have a full face for passengers or very cold weather, but I get more visibility and hear better with the half helmet. Also, if I didn't have on any helmet, the cops would impound my bike.

:44:

In PA a helmet is not required by law. However I never ride without one!! I use 1/2 and 3/4 helmets as well as a full face in colder weather . No skull caps either. I just don't see the point of wearing one of those it no helmet at all . Unless you don't mind your head splitting open like a watermelon?? :D

Love riding without, but my bald head gets sunburned.

Helmets can limit vision and hearing and won't always save your life. I believe in personal freedoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back