free website stats program Helmet | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet

I have the Skid Lid as I want something light that meets DOT standards and allows me to hear and see my surroundings. I don't use 'In helmet' accessories to hear music that would require me to wear a 'Space' helmet. A shorty helmet works fine for me and not all manufacturers make extra small.

One other point:
While it is generally frowned upon, I have modified the foam in every helmet I have worn. I am not talking about removing large amounts of material, but to get a perfect fit I will shave a millimeter or two in areas that cause "hot spots" or add a layer or two 1/16th inch closed cell foam in areas using double sided carpet tape to get a custom and comfortable fit. So, I always pull out the liner and take a look at the guts of a new helmet before I buy to see what is there. Sometimes there is a really good helmet that has some excess foam from the moulding process or something.

Given all the variables going on in a crash, I think having a very even fit to distribute the energy is much more critical than a millimeter or two of foam from the total thickness.

Not to hijack, but in discussion of helmets - I heard on the news this AM that the NTSB is going to push law makers to make ALL states a helmet manditory state!

Like the looks of those Scorpion half helmets with the retractable visor, may have problems finding then localy, just might mean another road trip to get the fit.
Wear a helmet now or a diaper later.

just bought the scorpion exo 100 myself...never been a helmet guy, only used them during my temp lisence...but now wear it all the time since getting mine last month...remember just cause you own a harley doesn't meen that the other moto store wont take your money..paid $109 for mine at forien bike store, and then bought the amber and a clear shiels from ebay

Back