free website stats program Helmet exemption | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet exemption

Steve07, Joyflyin and Geezer.... you have all nailed it on the head! I agree 100% !! There should be no special rules or laws for immigrants based upon religious beliefs. IMO.

They call it a law, then don't enforce it for religous reasons. However, they don't seem to allow exemptions for those of us born here. I smell a rat, and he has been decomposing for quite a while. :newsmile055:

Geezer, try to find the HD Carbon Fiber one made by HJC, it has vents for air flow, is extremely light AND fits even my over sized cranium well...best fitting helmet I have ever worn, you won't be disappointed. Want you around the Forum and riding with protective gear is still a big plus, exemption or not and worth the price of admission!

HDCarbonFiberHelmet.jpg
Thanks NewHD, I'll look into getting one.

I think Chopper has made a great point on this subject. Here in NJ, helmets are the law. As mentioned in other posts, you would be pulled over by every police officer who saw you and I can almost guarantee that you'd fill a saddlebag with the tickets you'd amass. Municipal courts are notoriously unsympathetic when it comes to explaining tickets. I understand you have a medical exemption, but the court could take the opinion that riding a motorcycle isn't a necessity, and not give much weight to your doctors note. In any case, the amount of time and money that would be spent, for certain ,isn't worth it. Stick to the states that don't require a helmet, and for sure, bypass NJ.....

I would agree. I would think in a helmet state you would be stopped by every LEO that saw you. They would have no idea that you have an exemption in your pocket. Whether they gave you a ticket or not, it could be quite a hassle.

As stated, I would just try to avoid helmet states. :nosad

I've heard that some insurance companies are now saying that if you get into an accident without a helmet on they will not cover your expenses!!! Come on.......

I've heard that some insurance companies are now saying that if you get into an accident without a helmet on they will not cover your expenses!!! Come on.......

When Gieco informed me that they REQUIRED that I wear a helmet at all times regardless of state law I dropped them like a hot potatoe.

Welcome blademan, Never heard of that in Idaho, I have done wreck estimates and repairs for them in the past and thought they were good to work with, they never wanted to short cut anything, and were always concerned for their customer, wanted things to be right, maybe just good agents around here??? If what you say is true, next time I see a Gieco company car, I shall have to communicate with sign language after running their gieco tails into a ditch, they have insurance:) :) :) :) :)

Chopper
I got this response from them at the 800 Number you call to get a policy. I had just moved to Idaho and told them I had moved here so I didnt have to wear a helmet, they said it didnt matter. Maybe things have changed (that was 1995). If in doubt maybe you could call and act like you wanted to get insurance and see what they say.

Back