free website stats program Helmet advice | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet advice

... ... .....
A full-face does not do it for me, as it restricts side vision - more than half my riding is done in city/congested traffic, and side-vision is what keeps me alive...

I would have to agree with this, a Full Face does limit your side vision. It cuts out the peripheral awareness that you have without it. This is a fact. I work around it by depending on my mirrors and I have to turn my head around to check blind spots before changing lanes.

This is a true fact. However I still feel more protected in a full face. That's a weighted decision every helmet buyer needs to think about. Or if you luck out and find one of each that fits from a friend or used consignment shop, you can try each out.
There are some hot days I wish I had a 3/4 helmet. Someday I may just buy one.
But for most of my riding (especially winter and autumn) I like the full face. Mine even has a plane pilot flip down sun visor (inside the helmet behind the face shield) that clears my glasses easily and I have the standard size plastic frames. Works great if you turn into the sun, I just reach up on the one side and push the lever and it flips down.

Something to think about if you wear glasses is to get glasses that are just for riding. I bought a pair of Oakly perscription glasses (not sunglasses....regular perscription) that have straight bows instead of the usual ones that curve over your ear. Kind of on the lines of the old school aviator military issue sun glasses back in the 70's and 80's for you military guys out there. They work perfectly with my full face helmet because I just slide them straight in instead of haveing to get the curve over my ears.

Check out Cycle Gear. Looks like your in Fla. There should be a Cycle Gear near you. They have a good selection of the top helmets. Very helpful staff and they have 7 day return policy. If you dont like it, take it back get your money back. Cant beat that. I found out because I bought a half helmet with the built in retractable shield. I hated it after day 2. Took it back and bought a Shoei St Cruz and never looked back.

Bodeen

I have like 6 helmets :shock.....For a open face, I like my Bell Mag 8...My Arai Quantum is my favorite full face, but my Scorpion EXO 1000 is a strong second........

RWB: This is a true fact. However I still feel more protected in a full face. That's a weighted decision every helmet buyer needs to think about.

And that is one sound piece of advise - get the pros & cons on the table, and weigh them. It's your head, and your decision...

An interesting thing to note is that the different manufaturers seems to have different head shapes as their standard, i.e. some are made for more round heads, while others fit oval. I'm an 'oval head' (tm), and had huge problems finding a well-fitting helmet during my years in Korea. My size is normally 'L', but the L's there were too 'short'. I was then advised to buy XL size and fill up the sides with folded newspaper...

This is a simple one for me. I have experience. Back in 1976 I had an elderly man turn left right in front of me. I hit him in the passenger side doing about 30mph. I was told later that I did approximately $600.00 worth of damage with MY HEAD against the side of his car. My helmet was a mess and I kept it as a memento until it fell off the shelf and ended up in two pieces. Moral of the story....I'd rather have a broken helmet...than a broken head..it's simple...never been without one since.

What type helmet were you wearing robermv? Full, half, 3/4?

I'm an 'oval head' (tm), and had huge problems finding a well-fitting helmet during my years in Korea. My size is normally 'L', but the L's there were too 'short'. I was then advised to buy XL size and fill up the sides with folded newspaper...

Same here. Arai is one of the few, perhaps only, that makes a truly form fitting oval shaped helmet. Awaiting the day they make a modular helmet with a pivoting chin bar. And still waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
in the mid to late 80's we took up motocross racing - my son was in his mid to late teens. There were some terriffic crashes now and then and on one occasion he managed to get into one and was thrown off and whacked his head to the point he was unconscious for quite a while - there is no doubt his helmet saved his life (more than once for him and most of the other racers) -- don't let anyone ever convince you they don't do their job - they do and do it every day. How many bike races have you ever seen with riders not wearing helmets? They may in some cases be a pain to wear but that beats a cracked skull any day.

As far as 1/2 helmet, the H-D Carbon Fiber one by HJC is the best helmet I have ever worn regarding lightweight, convenience and comfort. I wear perscription eyeglasses with Red Dog goggles and everything is right when riding. If cold, I wear a leather/microfiber wrap and good to go.

HDCarbonFiberHelmet.jpg

Last edited:
Back