free website stats program HELLO from Mayport Florida...and some advice requested | Harley Davidson Forums

HELLO from Mayport Florida...and some advice requested

DYNAMIKE22

Hi everyone,
here is my story:
OK.... about two years ago I purchased a 1996 FXDL with less than 7,000 miles on the clock. The bike was obviously garage kept and well maintained, but not on the road much! the paint had been stripped and primer applied... the former owner was planning a custom paint job, then decided he wanted an newer bigger bike to hardly ride.... totally my gain.... bike had aftermarket pipes, and everything else stock....

had carb issues when I test rode it... i.e.... needed choke to stay running... other than that everything seemed fine.... he made no adjustments after the exhaust, and it is LOUD...presumably nearly free flowing (there are baffles) so to that i attribute the carb issues??

my plan was to get her up and running in 6 months time...... but I was deployed to Afghanistan with nearly no notice so it all got shipped to NJ for storage (I am stationed in Florida) and put on the back burner! While over there my wife and Pops sanded and painted the tins, and that is where I stand....

I will be heading north in about 30 days to finish up and get my bike home!!!!

I plan on new fluids, plugs, battery, high flow air filter, rubber, and a no hassle jet kit and a thorough carb cleaning... I also have some 4" t-bars ready for install too

my question is...... What else would you guys do to get her ready? anything you would replace or check out before taking to the road that i am missing???

thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

attached some pre paint pics for ya!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 10
Welcome aboard from Canada. Maybe you could put in fresh gas and then you wouldn't need the choke. Other than that it sounds like you have everything covered so I would ride it and enjoy.

Thank you geezer!

i hope you are right about the gas too! it would be sweet to turn her over and everything be good to go!

Welcome to The Forum, run some Seafoam thru the fuel system it sure wont hurt:s

Welcome to the "BEST on the NET"
Again, Thanks for your service and may the next 30 days pass quickly by. You have all the bases covered. Only item I would mention is to check tires closely for cracks or dry rotting. You just may want to change them anyway do to sitting so long.

Thanks guys! I do appreciate all the support!

I have posted in a few other places and.... well... I am sure I don't have to tell you, but hdtimeline has been the most welcoming and informative! thank you! I have found my home!

dbmg- I just ordered new rubber last week to be shipped to NJ, there is no way I was going to take that chance! I had a dirt bike tire fail on me like 15 years ago.... seems like a long time ago until I think about how bad hitting the ground felt!

TANK- My first duty station was Okinawa, Camp Hansen! As a FMF Corpsman I can't wait to get back greenside! been like 5 years since my last MEU- I am currently in my last year of my first "shore" duty, and my most recent trip overseas was with the ARMY, not what I am used to--- you know those guys get issued new gear?? Who knew!!!

Jack and Garret- Do you guys use the spray or the fuel additive seafoam?

thanks again,

mike

Back