free website stats program Heading to Sturgis ... What to pack for parts/etc? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heading to Sturgis ... What to pack for parts/etc?

Practicing how to start the bike without the fob as Ferrous posted is VERY important IMO. Just having the instructions, and being flustered that you don't have the fob, you may overlook "with bike on jiffy stand" (that's how my '07 is). I tried the procedure several times without success, until I realized that standing the bike up, trips the disable mech. Other years and models may vary in the procedure, on jiffy or straight up.

Check the weather for your planned route then pack clothes accordingly.
Hope none of you will need road side assistance, but if you do, hope you get someone who speaks english!
Have a safe trip and good time.

Take your HOG Touring Handbook. In the event of a breakdown, all the HD dealers are listed with contact info and hours of operation. We did not have ours with us when we broke down in Colorado this past June. Got the bike towed 100 miles to a dealer only to discover that their service department was not open on Mondays. That is information that would have been really nice to have before we headed to the dealer. We would have gone 100 miles in the opposite direction to a dealer that chooses to do business on Mondays. Might have only lost one day of our trip instead of four.

Lorne taught me a trick you can always get cash at Walmart for free just buy something and get cash back. Very handy for the way back.
WAP.gif

I always carry a large bottle of water with the pull out end...something you can open with your teeth, sticking out of my left lower. In the right side I'll carry munchies like jerky or trail mix. Also don't forget the lip balm you'll need it.

Wifey says I travel with nothing but a toothbrush and a credit card, but in my defense I add:

1. Electrical or duct tape
2. Plyers
3. Two screwdrivers
4. Shop rag, all in a sealable baggy in the bottom of the low side saddlebag
5. Fuses in the fuse compartment
6. Original gas cap in case the chrome one wanders off
7. Sunscreen and lip balm
8. Aspirin and allergy pills
9. Accurate tire pressure gauge
10. Most important, water and lots of it. You'll drink over a gallon a day.

Some of these live in the saddlebag, somelike the HD map get added when I travel outside my usual areas. Also carry extra batteries/charger for the phone and camera, a notebook for recording expenses and ride observations, an envelope to keep receipts, backup glasses. Don't worry much about rain as I see so little of it here in the desert. Do carry the textile jacket liner, electric vest, extra gloves, and/or the evaporation vest depending on the season/weather. For short jaunts carry a really ratty street-find hoodie.

I stay away from sugar, alcohol, and caffeine during the ride due to the quick boost then letdown. They taste that much better at the end of the day.

Enjoy.

Sturgis was awesome but smaller than in 2003. Total trip was 4700 miles round trip.

I had a cruise control problem during the ride, probably the 600 miles of on off rain. My six gear light started shutting off intermittently this knocking out cruise control and so I dealt with that for about 4200 miles. JL Harley in Sioux Falls was not able to get bike in for service so I dealt with it..... Can I say carpel tunnel and inability to lead the group because maintaining speed was an issue when the cruise knocked out.

Having spare fuses, fob battery and headlight bulb saved some guys in our group of nine riders.

We almost lost a rider in PA. Rides a spoke wide glide and had a front tire blow out at 70. He almost layer the bike down muscled it up then almost layer it down again before a crazy wobble before he got to the breakdown lane.... Took 3 hrs for local Harley roadside to get him...we all needed the downtime after that.

Erie Harley inspected the tire and tube and found pinch marks on the tube and bead and called the local dealer that installed the new tires and tube 1 week prior to chew them out. Our buddy was a trooper and got back on to finish the ride out to Sturgis.
His luck never got better....wasp flew up his sleeve day 2 on way to Devils tower and got him a bunch of times before he go off road and yanked his coat off.
Then...... On the way home the in Ohio his bike blew up. 1999 with 30,000 miles probably the cam tensioners ...he had to UHaul home.

So my bike is now at the shop getting service and of course they say we can't find a problem with the 6th gear light being intermittent this causing cruise to stop working. They supposedly took it for 3 test rides with no problems and no codes were found in the computer. I told them its intermittent and they said bring it back if it happens again.

I know there are three sensors for cruise and hope it was mainly just water issues due to all the rain.

Otherwise the trip was great all had a blast
And yes I over packed!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sturgis was awesome but smaller than in 2003. Total trip was 4700 miles round trip.

I had a cruise control problem during the ride, probably the 600 miles of on off rain. My six gear light started shutting off intermittently this knocking out cruise control and so I dealt with that for about 4200 miles. JL Harley in Sioux Falls was not able to get bike in for service so I dealt with it..... Can I say carpel tunnel and inability to lead the group because maintaining speed was an issue when the cruise knocked out.

Having spare fuses, fob battery and headlight bulb saved some guys in our group of nine riders.

We almost lost a rider in PA. Rides a spoke wide glide and had a front tire blow out at 70. He almost layer the bike down muscled it up then almost layer it down again before a crazy wobble before he got to the breakdown lane.... Took 3 hrs for local Harley roadside to get him...we all needed the downtime after that.

Erie Harley inspected the tire and tube and found pinch marks on the tube and bead and called the local dealer that installed the new tires and tube 1 week prior to chew them out. Our buddy was a trooper and got back on to finish the ride out to Sturgis.
His luck never got better....wasp flew up his sleeve day 2 on way to Devils tower and got him a bunch of times before he go off road and yanked his coat off.
Then...... On the way home the in Ohio his bike blew up. 1999 with 30,000 miles probably the cam tensioners ...he had to UHaul home.

So my bike is now at the shop getting service and of course they say we can't find a problem with the 6th gear light being intermittent this causing cruise to stop working. They supposedly took it for 3 test rides with no problems and no codes were found in the computer. I told them its intermittent and they said bring it back if it happens again.

I know there are three sensors for cruise and hope it was mainly just water issues due to all the rain.

Otherwise the trip was great all had a blast
And yes I over packed!!

couple of things to look for with your 6th gear light, check the neutral switch, mine went bad, sent bad signal to computer, also have the shop, or you check all the connections under your seat and behind both side panels for corrosion on the pins from water, if you look under your seat, behind the panels you will see where your rear fender is cut off short and allows water from wet roads to splash onto all the connectors, again sending false signals

Back