free website stats program Heading for Tail of The Dragon | Harley Davidson Forums

Heading for Tail of The Dragon

tourbox

Well I'm leaving So. Texas on 7/14 for 10-14 days to go for a ride with some friends.
Gotta stop in southern Georgia for one guy to look at a cotton gin job. Then we are off to play.
Plan on doing some of the Blue Ridge Parkway and other scenic stuff, followed by The Tail Of The Dragon. Never done it before and looks Exciting. Other than that just RIDE and get out of this 100 deg. heat. Hoping the rains in Georgia area will stop for next week. Will try to get some pics up after trip.
tourbox

You're right, this heat is a rump kicker down here.

Sounds like a great trip...........Have a blast.....be safe. We'll hold the fort down. well........try to anyway:cheers

honestly the good riding begins after you've made it to the resort at the end of the dragon run. Take 28 to the left at the split (moonshiners run) and ride it down into franklin, nc. pick up 64 at franklin and take it into highlands. waterfalls galore along that stretch. stop at dry falls and walk down to check out that falls.

Dry Falls, Highlands NC

Have a good trip take it easy and enjoy the scenery

Brian

Don't be in a hurry to get out of N.Ga. Great roads in the Dahlonega,Ellijay,Suches,Helen areas. You won't find a bad road to ride...

Wow! That sounds like a fun time. We did the Dragon last year. It was great, but so are many other roads in that area, just like others have said. Do be careful. There are a lot of folks on those roads that are daredevils and can mess you up. I had a mini cooper come across the line in a curve at me. I believe 6 motorcyclists died on the Dragon and Cherohala last year. The rains during the winter caused some road damage, but I think they've about got all that fixed. I'm sure you've seen this link..... It gives good updates.
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.
Have a wonderful, safe time and we look forward to all the pics!:)

Don't miss the Cherohala Skyway when you do the Tail.

honestly the good riding begins after you've made it to the resort at the end of the dragon run. Take 28 to the left at the split (moonshiners run) and ride it down into franklin, nc. pick up 64 at franklin and take it into highlands. waterfalls galore along that stretch. stop at dry falls and walk down to check out that falls.

Dry Falls, Highlands NC

Don't be in a hurry to get out of N.Ga. Great roads in the Dahlonega,Ellijay,Suches,Helen areas. You won't find a bad road to ride...

All true! You simply can't go wrong hanging out in the North Georgia/Eastern Tennessee/Western North Carolina vicinity.

The Dragon is over rated but if you're in that area you still should do it, just to say you've done it! It's better suited for the sport bike crowd. Also, try to ride it early on a weekday to minimize your exposure to the "idiot factor." It's actually kind of fun to hang around the restaurant at Deal's Gap and people watch as well as listen to the conversations.

The typical weather pattern for this time of year results in what they call afternoon, air mass thunderstorms. Mostly the result of daytime heating of whatever moisture's in the air. If you can get up early and do most of your riding before mid to late afternoon, you're usually OK.

Have a great and safe trip!

Tourbox; Hard to tell if y'all are riding the whole way or trailering. If you are riding, I can suggest routes that will give you both the great roads mentioned and eliminate doubling back and forth.

Back