free website stats program Head light modulator. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Head light modulator.

AGAINST HEADLIGHT MODULATOR

• YES

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It took me five to ten minutes to install the one for the headlight, I don't have the brake Mod yet , but will get it in the future. plus real easy.. I removed four screws..

I thought they were kinda annoying whenever I met up with them; BUT that meant I noticed them which means regular Joe and Jane car driver should notice them as well.

I'm considering getting one now.

I have one of the Diamond Star units, less than 1 hour to install, auto off at night or low light conditions. Yes I think they help keep the idiots from pulling out in front of you or left turning in front of you. I have the pulsing deal on the rear brake lights also. I have been riding since 1965, anything that keeps me from getting killed or injured by some old gray hair or teenager on the cell phone is a plus. Have a buddy that had a teenager turn left in front of him while yacking on her cell phone. 5 weeks in the hospital and now 3 operations and he is still hurting. Off from work over a year, hurting financially also from the event. Besides it might keep me from using my S&W .357 to shoot some (EDIT) fool driver who wrecked me.

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
If you install a modulator, I encourage you to carry some tape to cover the ambient light sensor, or include a switch to disable it. This is for use when you are riding in a pack. Modulators are irritating in a pack, unless you are riding point, then by all means, leave the modulator on.

I'm just sayin'...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Installed one a few years back on the high beam & only put in on as needed when i feel the driver is distracted ie intersections .

If you install a modulator, I encourage you to carry some tape to cover the ambient light sensor, or include a switch to disable it. This is for use when you are riding in a pack. Modulators are irritating in a pack, unless you are riding point, then by all means, leave the modulator on.

I'm just sayin'...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Actually, Ribeye, the modulator should be installed to modulate the high beam only. So when riding in a pack you should be on low beam anyway so you're not annoying the rider in front of you. But, if the rider has gone against the recommendations and installed it to modulate your low beam, then I agree with your suggestion.

Let me play Devil's advocate and throw a question out there. At least in the USA, what is the universally accepted signal for telling another driver it's OK to turn in front of you? Answer - you flash your high beams! If a distracted driver is going to make a left turn and does a quick glance, they may interpret your modulating high beam as a green light to make the turn. I bought a modulator years ago but then gave it a lot of thought and decided not to install it, mainly for this reason.

I still believe in the studies that show a geometric pattern of lights (like headlight+running lights) is more noticeable than a bright light or flashing light. I believe it was the railroads that did the studies for safety at crossings.

Your ride - you decide!

Let me play Devil's advocate and throw a question out there. At least in the USA, what is the universally accepted signal for telling another driver it's OK to turn in front of you? Answer - you flash your high beams!

That's the first I've heard of that. Everything I've read the last 37+ yrs of driving has been you flash your high beams to pass. This is also in the motorcycle handbooks, H-D owners manual and every car manual I've had.

Flashing to tell someone it's OK to turn in front of you is counter to all those:newsmile055:.

Back