free website stats program HD problems/ quality? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD problems/ quality?

I just went on the Goldwing owners forum and read down a lot of threads discussing everything from oil and coolant leaks to rear brakes not working and reverse motors going bad. I guess they aren't any better than anything else.

Hopefully he stays on the Goldwing forum IMO! Just sayin....

Not bashing Goldwings but Jack and I have a friend back in Minnesota and everytime he takes it to the shop it's there for weeks before he gets it back.

Maybe because it takes a full day to take off all the plastic before you can work on the problem.:(

Indeed, once again if it is made by man it can break

I have had a number of Harley's over the years. Back when AMF made them there was a lot of problems. That never scared me off. I have never had any major problems from my old Pan Head through my 08 Ultra. Mostly small stuff. I think that all bike makers out there produce a good product. I just love the looks and sound of the Harley's. You just can't beat the rumble of Harley.
Duane: bigsmiley12:

I have had a number of Harley's over the years. Back when AMF made them there was a lot of problems. That never scared me off. I have never had any major problems from my old Pan Head through my 08 Ultra. Mostly small stuff. I think that all bike makers out there produce a good product. I just love the looks and sound of the Harley's. You just can't beat the rumble of Harley.
Duane: bigsmiley12:

Or the character of a Harley.

This forum and some others are there for members to seek help with questions or problems they have. Therefore, those people that are posting are doing something to their bikes. The silent majority are not posting and may not have any problems with their bikes.

Many HD owners are DIYers. So they are looking for help or suggestions as they get involved with their rides. May not be as prevalent for other types of bikes.

Cheers,

TQ

Prior to owning a Harley I owned a Yamaha Silverado (looked like a Harley) I was also a member on a forum that catered to my scoot. The membership was not as large as HDT but had basically the same format. On that site the same kind of issues/ questions and how 2's we're asked and responded to. IMO I don't think theres a motorcycle built or a forum created that is free of any problems/issues pertaining to that particular make of MC. I think a lot of bad mouthing of Harleys or any other make for that matter is simply a bad experience or jealousy.

I was thinking the same thing as TQ. Harley is the Glock of motorcycles. You buy a new Harley and instantly start messing with it, whether or not you are qualified to do so.

I was thinking the same thing as TQ. Harley is the Glock of motorcycles. You buy a new Harley and instantly start messing with it, whether or not you are qualified to do so.

And this is the biggest problem with Harleys that some who work on them are unable to repair correctly even at the dealer.

Well thats my opinon as well as to all the above. I dont bash any bikes ( of course russian and chinese machines are not "bikes")

All motorcycles are cool, old and new. Myself i want to add #4, a 50's panhead. Want it to be mechanically sound but look like a beater.

I do like my oldwing. its fun. Since its oldschool, carburated, i can work on it and make improvements. I have also painted it all black including engine. Painted cam covers, timing belt covers, brake calipers and other stuff Burnt Copper with clear coat over it . It looks awesome. And after overhauling the thing from front to back it now runs as good or better then new. Especiall with Full Synthetic oil and NO ethanol gas with MMO in it. Its smooth as glass and quiet but not too quiet. Performance all over 5k rpms.

Kind of weird comparison. I guess there no American made hand guns that can be compared to Harley. But to each his own. :)

Just watch this You Tube Video... http://youtu.be/UTEswkc4lPs Pay close attention to the best use of a Glock at the 3:50 and 5:00 minute mark. The 5:00 mark does really say it all. If that doesn't explain it all, be sure to watch part 2 http://youtu.be/NA8hK32JRRw :p

Last edited:
Back