free website stats program HD Premium Oil Cooler Install? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Premium Oil Cooler Install?

I already have a good sets of SAE and metric hex key sockets, short and long reach. Good tools are an investment in the future.

I agree and I also have both the metric & SAE hex head sockets from craftsman but the SAE set stops at 3/8 a 7/16 hex head socket or allen wrench is harder to find and cost alot more then a bolt and nut also a average grade bolt is plenty strong enough to handle the tourqe required . Also there is not much of a need for a 7/16 allen wrench so this is a cheap and effective alternitive for the average guy .

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have a good sets of SAE and metric hex key sockets, short and long reach. Good tools are an investment in the future.

I agree and I also have both the metric & SAE hex head sockets from craftsman but the SAE set stops at 3/8 a 7/16 hex head socket or allen wrench is harder to find and cost alot more then a bolt and nut also a average grade bolt is plenty strong enough to handle the tourqe required . Also there is not much of a need for a 7/16 allen wrench so this is a cheap and effective alternitive for the average guy .

The bolt/nut route is great when you're stuck in the middle of something and need the tool NOW. But if you have time to plan . . .

For those that don't want to purchase a 7/16 hex key socket here are two cheap alternatives:

1) At your local "junk tools" store, purchase a 7/16 hex key and with a hack saw cut off a piece from the handle of the key. Cost: $3.00 (even at amazon.com) and 5 mins with a hack saw.

2) At the hardware store buy a "rod joiner". They are a couple of inches long and are 7/16 hex key shaped. Cost $1.50.

The bolt/nut route is great when you're stuck in the middle of something and need the tool NOW. But if you have time to plan . . .

For those that don't want to purchase a 7/16 hex key socket here are two cheap alternatives:

1) At your local "junk tools" store, purchase a 7/16 hex key and with a hack saw cut off a piece from the handle of the key. Cost: $3.00 (even at amazon.com) and 5 mins with a hack saw.

2) At the hardware store buy a "rod joiner". They are a couple of inches long and are 7/16 hex key shaped. Cost $1.50.

Most people have a bolt and nut in their garage and they do not have to go shopping or cutting or anything else . But anyway you look at it anything that you can put a 7/16 box end wrench on will work for this application and you do not have to spend big bucks on a 7/16 allen wrench .

But anyway you look at it anything that you can put a 7/16 box end wrench on will work for this application and you do not have to spend big bucks on a 7/16 allen wrench .

Better to use a 7/16 socket so a torque wrench can be used to get the torque correct. Most people don't have the "magic touch" and can't estimate the correct torque.

Back