free website stats program HD Original Air Filter On 07 Softail ST | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Original Air Filter On 07 Softail ST

Thanks Tripp! Yes, that's only one part of the equation though. It takes a perfect match of fuel and air. So if you allow more air in, you have to let more air out, and increase the fuel to make the Stoichometric Values (AFR) or air fuel ratio to make it run better. And that usually includes a new Map with changes to the timing as well.

Thanks Tripp! Yes, that's only one part of the equation though. It takes a perfect match of fuel and air. So if you allow more air in, you have to let more air out, and increase the fuel to make the Stoichometric Values (AFR) or air fuel ratio to make it run better. And that usually includes a new Map with changes to the timing as well.
Right on... Id definitely take it somewhere and let someone qualified to make the changes when that time comes...

On my 08 softy the original was the oiled washable HD, I replaced it with a K&N dry paper, better filtering and breathing IMO, I also kept the original a/c cover we called it a football instead of vitamin "V"

On my 08 softy the original was the oiled washable HD, I replaced it with a K&N dry paper, better filtering and breathing IMO, I also kept the original a/c cover we called it a football instead of vitamin "V"
When a dealership gets a used bike they are supposed to do a thorough inspection and change the air filter out when they do the fluid change etc, etc.? I purchased my 07 Softail back in December and I assumed they changed the air filter out when they did the 15k service on it but apparently they didn't and I found out the hard way while out for a ride when suddenly my bike started to pop badly on decel and then completely stalling out when coming to a stop.! Luckily I wasn't far from home lol... I checked the air filter and sure enough it was black with oil and plus the breather tube was dry rotted

Attachments

• 20210704_175118.jpg
    20210704_175118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210704_175116.jpg
    20210704_175116.jpg
    915.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210705_192813.jpg
    20210705_192813.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 8
When a dealership gets a used bike they are supposed to do a thorough inspection and change the air filter out when they do the fluid change etc, etc.? I purchased my 07 Softail back in December and I assumed they changed the air filter out when they did the 15k service on it but apparently they didn't and I found out the hard way while out for a ride when suddenly my bike started to pop badly on decel and then completely stalling out when coming to a stop.! Luckily I wasn't far from home lol... I checked the air filter and sure enough it was black with oil and plus the breather tube was dry rotted

I think that really depends on the dealership Tripp. Some do, some only do a safety check.

I won't call you crazy but I hope you know the train schedule;)
Heh, I was actually hoping for the train. How cool of a photo would that have been? I would have had the bike idling of course....LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you have to retune? I know K&N makes an oiled filter and a dry filter that looks like the original HD filter that comes with most older Softails... I have seen them in Advanced Auto and O'Reilly for 49.99 and they are made of Cotton Gauze

If you buy the K&N filter that looks like yours I would just run it like it is. I had the stage 1 Harley filter on mine and replaced it with a K&N stage 1 and didn't have to retune. Mine was $ 49.99 also.

O my that's nasty.
A lot of us do a bypass on the breather tubes and out to a collection unit or as I have done just to the road. There are some posted pics a while back. Someone should remember where.

Back