free website stats program HD makes XR1200 Sporty for EUROPE ONLY!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD makes XR1200 Sporty for EUROPE ONLY!!

Well folks, it's starting....

This months Cycle World did a review a new Sportster HD is producing for the European market ONLY! We will not see it in the states!

The European dealers have been screaming for this model so they can compete will the other manufactures "naked sport bikes" And Harley is giving them what they want... Here's link to an older article. The info in the magazine will be available on-line in a couple of weeks.
Cycle World - Shown in Cologne

Here's some info:
PRICE: 9495 (Euros) (14,676 US Dollars)
Compression ratio: 10.0:1
Valve Train: OHV, 2 valves
Fuel Injected
Weight - Tank Full- 590lbs
Seat Height; 31.4"
HP: 79.2 @ 7000 RPM
Torque: 70.4 @ 3550 RPM
Front Suspension: Showa 43mm Inverted and adjustable
Front Tire: Dunlop Qualifier 120/70ZR18
Rear Tired: Dunlop Qualifier 180/55ZR17
Dual Front Brakes: Dual Disk, Nissin 4 piston Calipers w/ 292mm discs
Factory oil cooler
It has a more "rear set" style of pegs and foot controls.

The 3 of the Cycle World editors tested this bike and said it has the best brakes on a Harley. The best handling Harley ever made. It has the performance a Sportster should. And it could be the best Harley ever made. They all loved it. This is unusual for the guys at Cycle World. This is a Sporty I'd love to have in the garage.

I guess US riders don't deserve a Sportster of this caliber.

If you thought HD was more interested in it's US customers than the Europeans, think again... HD thinks it won't sell in the US, so they won't be marketing it here. But their going to produce it!

I think this is sign of things to come. Harley building special bikes for other markets and not selling them in the US... How long will it be before they start building these European only bikes in Europe. And how soon after that will they building bikes for US market overseas instead of building them in the US. It could happen...

SledDog, this should not really come as a surprise to anyone. Car companies have been doing it for years. There are cars that GM, Ford, and Chrysler all build that are specific to foreign markets. It is done for a reason. I for one am not shocked that HD is doing this. I am more shocked it has taken this long.

I think the reason it is for the European market is because of the roads we have, we don't have miles of open roads like the U.S. Our bikes need to be better for cornering and twisty smaller roads. Saying that I personally don't think the XR1200 is a very good looking bike and don't think it will be a best seller in Europe or over there, if they were selling it in the USA. I don't think you're missing out on much ! It has been on sale over here in the UK for a while and I have seen a couple in the Dealers but none on the roads, also you won't see many heads turning to look at it in the dealers when you have the other better looking Harleys to look at.

Rode a 2005 1200XL Roadster for a couple of months, ran like a striped ape, quick, handeled better than any of the bigger HOGS, and the dual front brakes were great, if I could find the dual rotor/caliper/wheel set up some where I would put them on my FXST. I live in the hills/mountains when out riding with a group if I wanted to tickle the trottle a bit I could always pull away from the other bikes on hills and curves.

Rode a 2005 1200XL Roadster for a couple of months, ran like a striped ape, quick, handeled better than any of the bigger HOGS, and the dual front brakes were great, if I could find the dual rotor/caliper/wheel set up some where I would put them on my FXST. I live in the hills/mountains when out riding with a group if I wanted to tickle the trottle a bit I could always pull away from the other bikes on hills and curves.

My 2004 Sporty XL1200R(S) came with dual disc brakes as standard, but had to install the 2005 4.5 gallon fuel tank and change the seat right after...! :57: One of the reasons why I bought the bike...stops w/ a two finger squeeze, like a UJM metric.

Well folks, it's starting....

This months Cycle World did a review a new Sportster HD is producing for the European market ONLY!

We will not see it in the states!

.................Oh......... I wouldn't say that.........................:s

Back