free website stats program Having to settle for softail ! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Having to settle for softail !

I was in the same spot in the summer of 2007-wanted a RK for touring but it wouldn't fit me. I bought a Heritage and added a Corbin seat which moved me about 2 inches forward and about 1.5 inches lower. With a little adjust on my handlebars I am now seated comfortably. As to comfort-I ride daily and with just over 32 K miles in less than two years I can say my set up now is GREAT!

Also read the recent article in the February Thunderpress. It's a great analysis of the 2008 Heritage and really speaks to your interests as to versatility.

As others have said, find what you want then make it fit--you won't be happy if you don't!

Same boat for me last year. Couldn't decide between a Heritage Classic and a Road King. After riding them both and hemming and hawing, I went with the Heritage. I road a RK for a week last month and couldn't wait to get back on my ST but the RK I rode had lousy bars which really took away from the whole experience.

If I had to do it again, I'd still buy the Heritage. I love it. But I sense an Ultra in my future a year or two from now.

Last edited:
I have the best of both worlds. My wife sits on a 08 RK classic that I lowered an inch w/HD low profile shocks and front spring kit. I have a 04 Heritage Classic. Love that 96 and six speed when I occasionally ride her bike. I still love the classic line of the Heritage. I'd go with your first choice, bite the bullet and spend the money to get the RK to your liking. Your willing to make the original investment. Spend a few hundred to make it fit to your liking. After all at 64 "ya can't take it with ya"

Hi Nick,
Wife and I am wondering what the color(s) are of your Deluxe? She say's it's a two tone Black and Blue. I say it's a solid Black.
I look at the color change in the pic of it being a glare.
Solve our differences.
Barry

Go for a Heritage, had an 05 Roadking and traded it in on an 09 Heritage. For me the Heritage is a smoother and better handling bike. Also very comfortable riding 2 up. :x

100_0283.jpg

Tommie2tone, welcome to HDTimeline, and yes the Heritage is a great ride...just different from the Roadking. The main thing is rider satisfaction and the magic "Smiles per Mile" formula that only comes by seat time...enjoy your reading after the ride...we have a lot of good stuff here. :D

Jick Scott, when your local HD dealer has Rider Days on Saturday, test ride both, talk to owners of both and based on your seat time, HDTimeline friends and such, make your decision. Settling on a softail...nope, nothing to settle for, they are both great rides in their own right! Now get out and enjoy the ride! :small3d026:

All I know is what I've experienced. I can not flat foot my Fatty with the stock seat. It has NEVER been an issue. I do have strong legs, but honestly I've never had to use that much muscle. You know it is pretty flat most everywhere in Florida....Naw that aint it, I've ridden my bike in the mountains too. I'm not a big fan of lowering bikes. I think it compromises the suspension and negatively effects handling. It is just my OPNION that it is not necessary to flat foot at stops, supported by my own experience. I know a guy has to live within his comfort zone, and I respect that. I also have alot of respect for Motorman. He seems to know alot more than most on this subject.

"It has NEVER been an issue"...yet. Hopefully you can continue to say this for many, many years. I'm not a big fan of lowering bikes either, but to not have both feet planted would be a worse tradeoff to me.

My Heritage is the first bike I've owned. I've ridden an 82 Wide Glide for years but it was my dads first owned Harley so he'll never get rid of it. I looked and looked and then looked some more when I was financially ready to get a bike. I wanted something similar to my dads Wide Glide and thought baggers were "old man bikes." I got on craigslist and found my bike. A Heritage Softail. Of course the pictures I saw of it were stripped down so it looked a lot like a Fat Boy. I fell in love with it. When I went to test drive it, it had a 2up seat, bags, and a windshield on it. Right away I was taken back but the guy took the stuff off of it in seconds. That was cool. I was going to be taking a trip to DC within a month so the bags were attractive and since I've ridden to DC in the rain before, the windshield wasn't a bad idea either. I'm very comfortable and I like the ride a whole lot better than that old Wide Glide. Now my dad has a Road King Classic. I've ridden that as well and even though the balance on that bike seems really awesome and it rides real smooth, like you, I wasn't impressed with the seat. It seemed like I was sitting on top of the bike looking down instead nestled in it controlling ever move. When on my Heritage I'm relaxed and feel in control. I guess my point is... take them both out for a ride and see which one you feel most in control on. You may be surprised. The only thing I don't currently have on my Heritage that My dad has on his RK that I like is the removable front fairing radio caddy. 750 bucks and I could have it all.

Good luck in your decision and have fun while figuring it out. Ride Free friend.

Back