free website stats program Harley Oil Cooler flow direction? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Oil Cooler flow direction?

When you change oil with a cooler does the cooler drain out the filter housing?

Not usually unless the cooler was mounted above the filter housing and would drain to the housing. Mine does not.

TQ

Airdrie, you followed directions installing so I'm sure it's working fine. Here's a quote out of a 2009 FLHTCUSE4 SERVICE SUPPLEMENT for the stock HD oil cooler that comes on the CVO touring model (should work the same for softail model add on's I would think) on oil flow & thermostat operation.

The flow of oil to the cooler is controlled by a thermostat in an
adapter located between the oil filter and the filter mount.
Under pressure from the crankcase, engine oil flows from the
crankcase oil filter mount into a passage in the oil cooler
adapter.The thermostat is located across the supply and return
ports of the adapter and consists of a temperature sensitive
element compressed between a spring and a threaded plug.
When the engine oil temperature is below 200° F (93° C), an
open thermostat allows the largest percentage of engine oil in
the supply port to pass through to the return port and then to
the oil filter. A smaller percentage flows through the oil cooler.
When oil temperature exceeds 200° F (93° C), the thermostat
closes and all the oil flows through the supply hose to the oil
cooler. The oil circulates through the finned tubes of the cooler to dissipate
heat and returns to the oil cooler adapter through a
return hose. The oil is then filtered before returning to the crankcase.
NOTE:
Regardless of whether the thermostat is closed or open, oil is
always pressurized in the oil cooler adapter, the oil cooler
supply hose, the oil cooler and the oil return hose.
At every service interval, the oil cooler fins should be checked
for dirt and debris.

Airdrie is putting the cooler on a Heritage so it's mounted above the filter.

OK, but the nipples will have to be mounted so that the cooler drains down to the nipples. The lines will not siphon out the cooler, but it will drain down to and out of the cooler in this configuration. Only consideration is that the cooler will have fill with oil before functioning.

TQ

Excellent insight Chopper. Thanks
I'm going to assume the install is good and I just need to be patient and wait for Spring. ;-)

As stated by many other replies, you have to get the oil up to temp (185) before the cooler thermostat will open, and a good ride is the only way to do this. When I installed my HD oil cooler, I went through the same process you did, and was thoroughly convinced that I had done something wrong. After the first ride, when I felt the cooler I was releived when it was hot to the touch and I realized that the thermostat just hadn't opened up when I was idling it in the driveway.....

JUST A WARNING for those who start and run their bikes for a LONG TIME with out riding.....

REALLY NOT A GOOD IDEA..... the motor is COOLED by air and COOLED by the OIL....
LONG RUNNING in a garage or roadside CAN SCORE PISTON CYLINDERS AND DAMAGE other parts......

IF you want to LET IT RUN for extended time to HEAT UP THE OIL,

GET a BIG COOLING FAN and place at a 45deg. off the exhaust side BLOWING across on engine... With FAN ON HIGH it is BLOWING like 50 mph and you can run the bike SAFELY all day that way....

LOOK AT THE ODOMETER MILEAGE YOU"LL SAVE on that FREEZING DAY

signed....BUBBIE

Back