free website stats program Harley Mystique | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Mystique

mikedubois

Just what is the mystique about a Harley Davidson?

What is it with the aura of a capitalized “D” and “H” when properly arranged, that gets the blood flowing, arouses the mind to the point of needing to praise a loud Yeah! Alright! or even an Argrrrrrrrrr?

You’ve asked that question and often heard the reply: “if you need to ask, you just don’t understand”.

Well I’d like to explain it here and now to the many new comers to biking who simply don’t ask from fear of rejection from the seemingly wise saddle tramps that do seem to GET IT.

Harley Davidson Motor Cycles exude machismo. From its looks, the packaging of its parts and bits, the sound and smell of those two cylinders spewing burnt gasses, the history of “THE MOTOR company and the enthusiasts who ride em’.
It is after all the rebel’s ride of choice.

The "Governato" reeked of it in Terminator, riding that Fat Boy™. The way he sat on it, DIRECTED it, gazed out of those dark Ray-Bans™. Bet the combination of he and the machine felt as if he was half man and half machine. Seems the movie itself was written around that very premise and I often wonder if it wasn’t a two hour advertisement for the Motor Company.

Macho isn’t just a male thing either. Many women want to have that feeling of brutal power under them. Both men and women want to control it, look cool astride it.

You don’t ever get on a Harley: you mount it.

Kicking that Jiffy™ stand out from underneath it is just plain poetry in motion: you give it a good firm tug left to right, kick it out from under it and balance it just right and now it’s YOUR beast and it’s between your legs. You’re astride, atop this brutal mechanical wonder. A few mandatory steps involving some leaning, head turning, wrist flicks and finally with the simple push of a thumb one bring the animal to life. I cannot describe in writing what occurs next simply because it’s totally emotional and involves just one of the senses: that Harley Davidson sound. Ummm, shivers! Even as you read this, you hear it. That deep fire spitting grumble unlike anything else ever devised for two wheels. No one can describe it but that sound is just so damned right. Bring up the rpm and let it settle back down to that hit and miss idle: potato… potato…potato. Do it two or three more times…….
You haven’t even left the parking lot yet and you’re already satisfied. Hell; shut it down and set it back on its stand! Sit there a couple of minutes. Look the part. Get off admire it as you hear those little cool down pings, try to look cool and tell the machine…. just tell it: “I’ll be back”
……….cause you forgot your helmet.

You have to understand that riding a Harley in itself isn’t the reason for wanting one. There are so many good bikes out there all offering varying degrees of handling and performance that yes, Harley owners must admit can be better in terms of latest fad engineering.
Riding a Harley is really a throwback. Technology advancements abound in some machines yet many of those manufacturers do offer their knock off versions but cannot nor ever will earn the mystique.

American grunt: The Marines, P-38’s, Mustang, Hemi, Patton, Sherman and Stuart. Oohhaahh. And when in group formation riding down the highway and into town its D-Day all over again. You own Main Street! Hell, let's ride into Iran and whip it!

There are other Americanism; all good too but somehow just don’t seem to exude the right stuff. Such a huge difference between Coca-Cola’s Santa and the Marlborough man.

Many enjoy motorcycling, but a Harley owner simply loves to haul (edited). Harley is unique. Never to be duplicated. If you need to ask again, you’ll never get it.

Mike DuBois

Last edited by a moderator:
..I can honestly say..if I were to die tomorrow...and made to the main gate ( guarded by US Marines of course)...Met the "Good Lord"..i would honestly say " Man-o-Man!....Thanks its been a great ride...

To think I wasted all this time in my life...did not really start living till I was 58..Thats when I walked into the World of Harley...Nostalgia....the looks and the sounds...the people we've met...All American...of course the chrome (lol) ...each person probably got a different reason..its why there no one answer...Thats why a person can say if ya gotta ask..you wouldn't understand...last but not least...American made.

Even after reading all that, I don't think you can fully explain the "mystique" but it's undeniably there.

I feel like the most important point Mike made is that it goes WAY beyond the actual riding of the machine. Just looking at my bike in the garage gives me goosebumps. Hearing another Harley in the distance reminds me I'm part of the family. Why, oh why, do you think every other manufacturer makes a bike that looks almost exactly like a Harley?

One other thing if we're entirely honest with ourselves. Owning a Harley tells the world that we've "made it" in a way. We can afford to pay the "Harley tax" and pay thousands more than comparable models from other companies simply to mount up on our Harley! Just compare the average age of a metric purchaser to the guy or gal pulling out of the Harley showroom.

there is no way to explain it,hence the saying "if i have to explain you wouldnt understand." either you get it or you dont.

The Harley rider is out there for each other... not themselves.

Well put "DK", I have an excellent personal example of that. I was riding to Sturgis and had a break down, and had stopped on I90. Within minutes, a fellow form KY stopped and helped me determine that it was a coil failure. Shortly thereafter some other riders had stopped to ask if they could lend a hand. As I recall one couple was from NY, IL, and somewhere else.

Then, there was a couple from St. Paul MN who were hauling their two bikes that stopped. The lady unloaded her bike and allowed me to put mine on the trailer. They offered me a cold one, and I rode with hubby in the truck to a shop in a near by town.

We all rode together and had lunch at a nice little "roadside" while my bike was being fixed!

I've never seen any of those folks since, but I know they're out there somewhere, and alot more lik'em.

Well put "DK", I have an excellent personal example of that. I was riding to Sturgis and had a break down, and had stopped on I90. Within minutes, a fellow form KY stopped and helped me determine that it was a coil failure. Shortly thereafter some other riders had stopped to ask if they could lend a hand. As I recall one couple was from NY, IL, and somewhere else.

Then, there was a couple from St. Paul MN who were hauling their two bikes that stopped. The lady unloaded her bike and allowed me to put mine on the trailer. They offered me a cold one, and I rode with hubby in the truck to a shop in a near by town.

We all rode together and had lunch at a nice little "roadside" while my bike was being fixed!

I've never seen any of those folks since, but I know they're out there somewhere, and alot more lik'em.

Cool story Mosko,
am one that always stop to help any biker on the road.:D

Back