free website stats program Harley-Davidson unveils new Street 500 and Street 750 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley-Davidson unveils new Street 500 and Street 750

I'm liking the appearance of a radiator. Thinking that maybe by the 2015 or 2016 model year we're going to see a new touring bike powertrain.

I like the idea of a smaller engine HD. It would get quite a lot of interest over here where our roads are much shorter with many tight turns.
The competition will be a little nervous at having a world famous brand name like HD producing machines that hopefully will become more popular than the smaller cruisers that imitate the Harley design.
Great stuff, can't wait to try them out when they reach our shores.

I like these bikes. They're modern but still appear to have the Harley mystique. from what I hear it's a modern engine/drivetrain 60* vtwin w/4 valves per cylinder that should attract a lot of metric riders. Hope they sell well for the MoCo.

Anybody know anything about the origins of the motor? Is this a modified Sportster engine? V-Rod? Totally new design?
The given name and the 60* cylinder angle suggests it is a derivation of the V-Rod power plant.

I wonder if big brother is going to start mandating CAFE rating for motorcycles and Harley is getting prepared by having a couple of high MPG bikes to offset the rest of the family, like small automobiles????????

I wonder if big brother is going to start mandating CAFE rating for motorcycles and Harley is getting prepared by having a couple of high MPG bikes to offset the rest of the family, like small automobiles????????

I'm guessing more along the lines of emission standards that simply will not be able to be met by air cooled engines.
Motorcycles already get huge breaks on emission standards as compared to cars, as they realize bikes are smaller and don't have the room for large air pumps, large catalytic converts and other items that are now required on all automobiles, but that doesn't mean that stricter regulations aren't coming... Probably never as strict as automobiles, but none the less strict enough that Harley knows they will never meet them without the tighter tolerances and technology that liquid cooling can provide.

This is both a way to reach a new market AND start moving the idea of full liquid cooling into the thoughts of the die hards.

It also gives them a platform to perfect (or at least improve) the technology before moving it to the larger displacement bikes.

Heck, I may get the 750 as a commuter.
WAP.gif

I'm liking the 'Old School' look and the clutch/shifter combo peaks my interest!
Thanks for passing this along!

Back