free website stats program Hard Starting issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Starting issues

nrs2420

I'm having a problem with hard starting after fueling up or after a short break. The bike is a 2010 FXDWG with Stage 1 done. Has the power commander. Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes it will crank over 2 or 3 times, but I'm most worried about it cranking 8 times then it will fire and today I let it crank 13 times before I let go, I'm sure it would have kept going as long as I held it. Most of the time if I let it sit for a second after the hard cranking it will start fine with the next push of the button. Also it will start fine if I don't let it run the diagnostics in the beginning and start it while the fuel pump is running.

I really don't want to take it to the dealership, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a fuel problem, I would have the Dealer fix it under warranty JMO

I agree with Jack. Sounds like it has too much fuel at the cranking & low RPM range. Engine starting better if you crank before the pump builds up it's final pressure indicates to me you have too much fuel.

Would too much fuel in the same circumstance cause what appears to be a compression-like issue when I push the start button? I stop and then press the button again, it starts right up.

Would too much fuel in the same circumstance cause what appears to be a compression-like issue when I push the start button? I stop and then press the button again, it starts right up.

If the cylinders were flooding with fuel maybe starting to hydro lock, but that is reaching IMO

Back