free website stats program grinding noise in primary | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

grinding noise in primary

I think Bubbie is on the right track. With the clutch lever pulled and the transmission in gear, nothing inside the transmission is moving. The fact that the noise does not change when clutch is engaged/disengaged or transmission in gear or neutral points to something upstream from the transmission/clutch assembly.

I drained the transmission. It had a little bit of metal on the drain plug, not a lot. Nothing much in the oil, either. If nothing in the transmission is turning with the clutch pulled in, it must be somewhere else because it makes the noise all the time regardless. I didn't know the compensator could make a grinding noise. I have heard the banging noise when I shut the bike off, kind of a clunk, clunk. Never thought of the rotor magnet.

My compensator doesn't have a spring. It has the cam slider, sprocket and shaft extension. Maybe I misunderstood Bubbie's spring tension comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The spring cup is the outer cup that the nut goes thru firs. Behind it is your cam slider.
tourbox

Just for grins, have you checked your cam tensioners inside the nose cone?

Cheers,

TQ

I didn't check the tensioners, the noise sounds like it is coming from the primary. Do you think the tensioners noise could fool you into thinking it is inside the primary?

Can the spring cup make a grinding noise? I know the part that you are talking about, I didn't know it had a spring in it.

Normally they are quiet. You can press down on them to see it they are loose. The noise can travel & fool you.
tourbox

So, when the clutch is disengaged nothing in the transmission is moving, but the noise remains. That eliminates anything in the transmission causing the noise, including the large mainshaft bearing/

So, when the clutch is disengaged nothing in the transmission is moving, but the noise remains. That eliminates anything in the transmission causing the noise, including the large mainshaft bearing/

That's correct. As Jennmar stated in post #11

Just a point of clarification. With the transmission in gear and the clutch pulled in, nothing in the transmission is moving.
From what you have described, I think your possibilities are the clutch hub bearing (unlikely because the sound doesn't change), the alternator rotor, or something on the cam side and the noise is traveling through the crankcase...but that is just my opinion and is probably worth just what you paid for it. :)

IF it is not the Main bearing on the crank?

IT Probably IS the old Original style Compensator...

I too had mine go out but at 50,000 miles. Hard starting and kickbacks when Heat Soaked engine was common...

The reason I say the compensator, IT does USUALLY have a short life on Quite a few bikes. (original used on 07,08,09,10, ? if 12)

Do a few hard takeoffs in first OR hold the front brake on for no forward motion and let clutch IN and OUT at fast idle several times to make things Move in the comp area... Any unusual noised should be noted...

The replacement Modified SE Comps are Many since I did my SE08-A a couple years or less back. My SE08-A replacement comp works just great as MANY didn't in a lot of bikes...

HD IS still changing and working to get it right but Don't Hold Your Breath...:shock

signed....BUBBIE

JUST another thought.... Before Loosening the comp, TIGHTEN it to see IF it might be OR was LOOSE...

Back