free website stats program grinding noise in primary | Harley Davidson Forums

grinding noise in primary

nascar7613

2007 Ultra, 77K miles. Has a grinding noise that seems to be coming from the primary. Pulled down everything, replaced the inner primary bearing and the clutch hub bearing while I was in there. There was a small amount of very finely ground metal particles, but not very much. Put it all back together and the noise is still there. It doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out, in gear or in neutral. I'm guessing it must be coming from the transmission, not sure. I don't think there is anything else in the primary that would make a grinding noise besides something obvious like the tensioner shoe, which is fine. I'm going to take out the transmission drain plug to see if there's metal on it. Just wondering if anyone has any insight.

Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint a noise/sound on these beasts, how's the primary chain tension? Minor fuzz is normal on the plug.

About 3 years ago I had my whole primary side replace (under warranty) 1 of the problems was the compensator nut would not hold it's torque and kept loosening up. Looking back at the service order notes my complaint was a grinding/noise coming from my primary.

Just a Guess on my part. Could it be in the magnets on the rotor?

One off (loose and sliding around as the rotor turns) and moving Freely against the Stator/rotor?

OR:
could it be the Compensator. The Springs in OUR can Compensators (stock on 07 and Up a few years) wear and spring tension gives in... Noise usually heard is more of a Klunk/Banging when starting and turning Off the motor. Grinding on start up because of the soft spring holding the compensator FIRM.

My 09 was Making the Klunk and Hard starting when HOT grinding starter gear on the ring gear.

I replaced with an 08-A SE compensator. Modifying the spokes by grinding Channels on the fronts diagonal down and into the face Boss for the oil to go INTO the face of the boss and getting the NEEDED drop or two of oil to keep from Dry Rusting like so many do....Hence; the Oil into the Compensator Problem... (MTL by Redline... good stuff)

signed....BUBBIE

Draining tranny and inspecting is a good idea.
I first found this forum with similar problems. My problem turned out to be tranny bearings. Hope this isn't your case!

Uh-oh. Yet another possible 2007-2010 compensator victim... Nooooooooo !!!

Nascar, any loud banging when you start it after it is warm (like after filling up with gas)? That would be another compensator indicator. If the grinding is constant all the time, that doesn't sound to me like a comp issue, but Jack & BUBBIE would know better.

BUBBIE, any update on Darkhorse (Hoban Bros) comp? There could be another customer for the waiting list...

I'm not Privy to any New information....

They (Bros OR HD) had better hurry as a lot of bike owners are TIRED of HD Dragging their feet and ours into the fire. Installing Comps. that Don't do the job but Cost us $$$$$$$$$$$ and Poor working bikes.

Very BAD on HD's part to Not get the job done/engineered correctly and Fixed to run more than a few thousand miles and need replacing with another BAD Designed Comp,,,,, Then to do the same thing again and AGAIN..:shock

Words :newsmile055: Can NOT be used here to describe WHAT the many ANGRY customers are Saying from the disappointing NEW SE Comp. problems.

signed....BUBBIE

A friend of mine with an ' 07 Ultra had a tranny leak from the large main shaft seal. It wasn't making any noise though. After we removed the seal for the new one we saw the real problem. His main shaft bearing was eaten up. It's a double row ball bearing and every ball was pitted very badly. If you take you primary apart again you may want to look at that bearing. I would think you could feel it by rotating the shaft with the inner primary off. He had about 60K mi. when this happened. Heard of several others also.
tourbox

Back