free website stats program grease fitting in frame neck | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

grease fitting in frame neck

Perfectly legitimate question. Why in the world would he think that question was so funny. I wonder if he does the same thing to his children when they ask Daddy a simple question.

I think that parts guy is related to the sales guy that told a member the new Electraglides don't have gas caps. :newsmile100: Another case of dealership employees substituting arrogance for knowledge.

P.S.Or, the parts guy knows the store a/c is set for 75 degrees, and the customer wanted a warmer zerk fitting. :34:

Smitty, when you say any grease do you mean any brand or are we talking a wheel bearing rated type grease or a white lithium what would be the best.

Don't mean to answer for Smitty but don't see him logged in. One choice that really stands out for me is made by Valvoline called Cerulean. This stuff is truly the bomb when it comes to grease that you want to stick in place and not run when it gets hot. Part number is #70133 and NAPA carries it.
If you try it, I think you will agree.

Thanks Hoople, Im going to pick up the 90 degree fitting and tube of grease today and fill the neck will probly use a whole tube as I have near 48k on this bike and its never been greased, Hopefully the bearings arent already burned, I didnt even know there was a grease fitting there. Keep learning new stuff since I joined this forum. Great site!

All it requires is a heavy grease, thats so it stays in place better.
It does not require expensive or fancy stuff. IMO lithium or so call white grease it to light but it would work. As I said before I use a SNY grease.
SYN grease seems to stay longer and ie easier to clean off. IMO

Right again Smitty. Am a big fan of white grease i e Lubriplate, but it is too light for alot of applications and washes out easy

Pru7536, thank you for the informative and well written thread. I was thinking along the lines of those who question whether the work was done or not, while you have the bike on a lift, just level and most of the weight still on the wheels, turn the front bar lock to lock, if you feel a slight "bump" during the travel, there is likely a bad spot in the steering cup; and if it feels even a slight bit gritty, you are probably running dry or contaminated bearings. Don't ask me how I know...!

Not greasing these bearings seems to be a typical problem. Several have commented on it ot being done. I started doing my own maintenance at the 15K mark on my Ultra. Took over a half tube of grease before anything came out, and no old grease! Obviously, my dealer is another one that charges for this, but does not do it.

Looks like I might have too remove my head light assembly to get to the fitting, is there any flex grease hose that will fit with out having to replace the fitting.

You can get to the fitting without removing anything if you turn the bars hard right. Done it a few times like this with no problems. I installed a 45* fitting then.

Back