free website stats program grease fitting in frame neck | Harley Davidson Forums

grease fitting in frame neck

killertiki

Hi guys new to harleys and maint.. on a harley, unfortunately my sportster didn`t come with a manual, on the frame on the side of the steering tube, is that a regular grease fitting? if so what kind of grease?

use a good heavy grease and fill it up good. i use a SYN grease but thats because I like the way it stands up to water, but any good heavy grease is fine. Do not be suprised if it takes a lot
It is one of the most often missed services. and a very important one.
Order the HD Service manual for your bike it will be the best 40-60 bucks you ever spend.
How do you know you have squeezed enough in?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Hopefully the grease will come out the top and bottom of the neck and then you know both bearings are full of grease. I took Glider's advice and cleaned off the excess grease with a Q-tip.

Don't be surprised if you find melted grease on the top of the left fork slider after greasing the front end. It happens when it heats up and sitting in the sun a while. It will look like the slider seal is leaking.

Everything said by Glider and Smitty is correct. Experience is a very good teacher, so heed what they have said. The dealer missed mine on my 1K service. It took nearly a 1/2tube to fill. The excess will ooze from the upper and lower tube areas. Wipe up the excess with a q-tip so it will not run down the frame. The service manual and this site will give you the confidence to accomplish lots of jobs to maintain your scoot. When you do it yourself, you never have to wonder (like I did) if the dealer it or did it correctly! Enjoy your new HD and b safe.

Would there be a good reason why the grease fitting has been eliminated? (at least on my 2009 I don't see any). And would there be any reason not to install one the next time I have it apart? I do like the idea of having one.

I did not have the problem on my bike.

FWIIW I read if you are filling the neck with grease and it only comes out the bottom. You can wrap a nylon cord around the bottom of the neck. This will help get the grease up to the top.

Back