Votes: 241 20.5%
  • Lower Grade Only (89)

Votes: 34 2.9%
  • Low Grade Only (87)

Votes: 28 2.4%
  • Doesn't Matter To Me

Votes: 11 0.9%

• Total voters
What grade of gas do you use in your Harley?

Should be interesting to see what's used.

Feel free to leave your comments.

I use 91 octane now after using 93 for many years.

Hey Glider,

How long have you been using 91 octane, in what bikes, and how do they run with it?

I've only been using 93 in my Heritage, usually Shell, since I bought it in April, but have thought about trying 91 in it and see how it runs.

Hey Glider,

How long have you been using 91 octane, in what bikes, and how do they run with it?

I've only been using 93 in my Heritage, usually Shell, since I bought it in April, but have thought about trying 91 in it and see how it runs.
With the right tuning of the FulePak with the other mods you've got 87 octane can be tuned to run fine. Only advantage the "High-test" has it's better additives package. You'll never feel any HP increase with the 93.

Hey Glider,

I've been running the 91 for a few years now, but have noticed in the colder temps that 93 sometimes is needed because of a very slight ping on any hard acceleration, only at times like entering a parkway. It's only ocasional this happens.
Seems just opposite of what is needed but the higher octane really does nothing for performance if it isn't needed to keep any pinging down, just costs more. You can try the 91 and see if you get any pinging and if you do go back to the 93.
There's many factors involved in the right octane for the different bikes that will make a difference. Compression ratios are the first as well as other factors. The lower compression ratios of the stock Harley's doesn't really require the 93 octane.
The only other factor here is the gas is usually sub standard now as compared to years back when you could get 103 sunoco gas. I believe that the method of grading gas now is the RON or research octane rating which I feel is grading it a bit lower than it really is as verified by the eagerness of the modern cars to ping on the lower grades. Of course this is helped along with the smog equipment on most cars today.

One thing to consider when you choose to go to a lower octane is that if your engine pings enough from the 91 that the ECM will pull back the timing to eliminate it through the ION sensing system. This will decrease performance (power) to a small degree and may offset the advantage of goint to a lower grade of fuel. Either way, I feel it's safe to run the 91 and see what you get out of it.

Last edited:
Considering the real job of oil, and the lack of certain bearings in the 96's....one sure better be using 93.

Considering the real job of oil, and the lack of certain bearings in the 96's....one sure better be using 93.

Could you explain this statement a bit more in depth?

Lack of bearings, such as cam bearings I understand

The real job of oil, I would think to lubricate and cool but how does the "better be using 93" relate to the other two?

Just curious. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

You have my interest peaked. :D

Thanks

Could you explain this statement a bit more in depth?

Lack of bearings, such as cam bearings I understand

The real job of oil, I would think to lubricate and cool but how does the "better be using 93" relate to the other two?

Just curious. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

You have my interest peaked. :D

Thanks
Once again you ask what I'm thinking :D

I have never seen 91. All I have ever seen in Texas is 93 with 89 for mid and 87 for regular. Maybe it has something to do with the altitude. In Houston we are about 10 feet above sea level. My guess is you could alternate between 93 and 89 every other tank and probably be OK if you fill up about half way but why take a chance for 50 cents saved.

Back