free website stats program GPS.. Which model? Pros & Cons? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS.. Which model? Pros & Cons?

I cant' say for other Iphone Navigation Apps but the Navigon App by Garmin supposedly uses true GPS Satellite signals so losing cell phone coverage should not be a factor for navigating while using the Navigon App.

:newsmile100: My daughter had problems with her laptop freezing up on her last year. First thing I asked her was what is she resting it on while working.. Had it on her lap or on the bed. Simple solution was to put it on a cutting board and she's had no problem since. I'd think repeated long term use without proper ventilation will kill them sooner. Short term will affect there longevity but not as much.

I agree, and I keep my laptop on a board that sits on my lap. But my wife, and "all" my inlaws and grandkids do not and their laptops seem to last as long as mine do. Evidently there are enough vents that still get clear.

I know a car GPS might not be the ideal because I most likely will not be able to hear any directions but as long as I use it as a backup to proper maps it should do.

I turn the voice off on mine when on the bike, I guess if one had bluetooth or whatever you could pipe it to some headphones. I just follow the purple line on the screen. When traveling to an unknown destination with a set arrival time it can be a lift saver and no more pulling off the road to pull a paper map out of your pocket. Or wondering if that last street sign was the one you should have turned on.

For the cost though, I could buy a few car GPS's for the price of one Zumo and for as often as I use them it'll be easier on the wallet.

That is true.

Mind you, I've found out the hard way that GPS's are not 100% accurate. Had mine try to send us down a dirt road in North Dakota last year. . . . . . . . I'll be spending the money on the updates this year though. . . . . .

Yes you need those lifetime map updates because the landscape is ever changing. On the Garmin models the postfix letters "LM" mean you get lifetime maps with the purchase. If the map data is correct even the cheap GPS units can triangulate within 50 feet of error. The ones we used in surveying could get within 1 tenth of a foot referenced on a state plane base.

I cant' say for other Iphone Navigation Apps but the Navigon App by Garmin supposedly uses true GPS Satellite signals so losing cell phone coverage should not be a factor for navigating while using the Navigon App.

I learn something new everyday - I thought it was the iPhone's own maps app which was being referred to, I will check out the Navigon app - sounds useful and thanks for the info.

I wanted to post an update to this thread. Just the other day I read that these more expensive Zumo's etc accomplish their "ruggedness" by eliminating the hard drive in the Unit. It is made up entirely of EPROM chips and flash ram to hold the map data.

This was quite enlightening to me, since I had no idea "any" of these units (cheap or expensive) had hard drives in them. I thought they were all EPROM's and flash ram. Appears the vibration of a bike can cause the tiny drives to fail over time much more than using them in cage.

Since I replaced my riser bushings with the heavy duty ones, my bars, mirrors etc are quite a bit more vibration so who knows how long my Nuvi will take that (I don't use it that often). Anyhow that's what I read, forgot where, since my laptop crashed during the episode.

Where did you connect the power cable that comes with the unit? I am seriously thinking of buying a Rider unit, but I have to do my research first. I also noticed that there are different "versions" of Rider, like Rider 2, Rider 3. TomTom does not list different versions, so I assume they sell the latest version.

You can plug right into the cig. lighter socket in the fairing. Care needs to be taken with Garmin plugs, because they can hit the tank at full left lock, unless they are in exactly the right position. I added a dedicated plug under the tank. It is wired to the ACC switch on the fairing cap.

:newsmile108: I've used a 1300 Garmin Nuvi for the past 4 yrs on my Ultra with over 28,000 mi on it in heavy rain, dust, heat & cold without any problem to date. Total cost for everything was about $145. That included the garmin handlebar mount with case & 4" ext. I in fact intend to install this same unit on my new bike, just might change the mount. I never seen a need for one of those expensive units. In fact I've seen plenty of guy's with them have problems. :dknow

I've been using the Zumo 660 (and the Zumo 550 before that) for the last few years and many thousands of miles. It gives me the freedom to explore any road knowing I'm never lost. I first had it installed on my Fatboy, then transferred it to my Road King after selling that bike. It also works great in the car. Comes with everything you could possibly need for mounting. The 550 came with a AC charger that I never used. My friend has the Harley version, works the same, just no flexibility on mounting options. Some of the best money I've ever spent on the motorcycle.
I purchased a garmin 550 a few years ago and just now installing on my 2003 Harley ultra. please tell me how to run it threw the radio speakers and do I need an ext antenna for the xm radio in it or is it built in

Back