free website stats program GPS Options | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS Options

I still prefer the reason why I got a bike to ride and read maps

Good luck with your choice but remember to always carry a paper map...it tends to make riding much better.

This is my GPS that I use. Even traveling in car.:newsmile01:

I did what lorne did; a NUVI and RAM mount (also with my $39 Sirius Radio) I just returned from a 6,700 mile trip and it worked fine. I used a zip lock bag in the rain and it stayed dry. I only needed it when getting around some cities - or finding a Harley dealer. The HD version is way too much for me. It's almost a week of hotels on the road. Now that the trip is over and I know my way around this part of the world, I'll store my GPS and zip lock until the next long trip.

For areas that were busy and since you can't hear the GPS nag/help you or in busy traffic, I used a dry erase marker and wrote the routes on the windshield as my heads-up display.

I have a low cost handlebar mounted waterproof enclosure fitted on wife's bike and a cig lighter extension that fits battery charger pigtail with the cig lighter socket end held onto the left tube of the frame just under the tank
I follow wife or i am in trouble

Brian

As long as the Sun is not directly on it , I can read the screen just fine. Biggest problem is when your glasses are polarized then you may not be able to read it without tilting it up/down.

I never even thought of that (polarized glasses), good info!
WAP.gif

I have a 4.5 inch screen Garmin on my L. handlebar. I can hear the voice at 50 or under, but I don't rely on voice commands except to snap me out of my riding daze. I have a "fishermans" shade ($14) that velcros to the unit and helps a lot in bright sun. I keep a small plastic bag handy for parking in the rain, I've not needed it while underway in heavy rain (Electra Glide). After saying all that, I'm a MAP guy,I love 'em. I took 1 trip without a map, GPS only, and felt lost the whole time, even though I was not. On trips I have a magnetic map holder on the tank with my route highlighted. I have a 2" stub of red grease pencil on a tiny retractable cord attached to the map pouch. I make quick marks across the route as I pass junctions. I think the real reason I like a GPS is for the ability to get back on track when I start wondering where this road goes?

I've used two different Garmin Nuvi models. They were cheaper and worked just as well as my friend's much more expensive Harley unit. The only difference was that the Harley version is weather-proof (easily solved with a plastic sandwich bag) and has a dedicated button for finding Harley dealers, which I don't need.

The Harley version is hard-wired but running the power cord from a portable GPS unit to the cigarette lighter outlet in the fairing (or installing an outlet under the seat) works just fine. RAM mounts can be mounted just about anywhere.

If you go with a GPS unit other than the Harley unit make sure you get one that is responsive to gloved input. Some of the newer units have fancy glass screens that do not respond to gloved input.

The nice thing with non-Harley units is that you can remove them from the bike and use them in your car or truck.

Of course, you can never rely totally on the GPS. They often take you on roads that are not motorcycle friendly. They are also not the brightest machines. Going into Sturgis this year my GPS was still showing me hotels in Spearfish as being the closest.

I have the HD Garmin 665. My husband bought it for me for Christmas. I had the fairing mount installed because my bike was brand new and I wanted a clean look. I usually study maps like crazy before going on a trip, so I didn't think I really needed the Garmin, but when we went through Tulsa last month, the unit saved me. That was such a congested city with exits one right after the other. We would have been lost as two geese had it not been for the Garmin. Other than that, it was nice in that it tells you the speed limit, how far to your next turn and how long before you should get there, and a few other nice things. I thought it interesting that it is the HD model and it gave us incorrect directions to HD Central in Grand Island, NE. This unit can be used in an auto as well and it was easily read in the sunshine. I haven't tried to use it wearing full finger gloves yet, but it was a little tricky using bare fingers. We still got lst, even having the Garmin. I have decided that it's fun to get a little lost:) The bottom line is that I really don't need a GPS, but it was awfully sweet of my husband to gift me it.

Mine is in back of me. She's always telling me where to go. :D
Actually we either use our Garmin or a cell phone.

Back