free website stats program GPS Options | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS Options

What are most guys doing about GPS on the touring models? The HD kit is EXPENSIVE!! Is there a way to mount a marine grade GPS on the fairing and connect it to the audio without spending my retirement?

P8270775_zpsefe020b4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This's what I use on mine. I don't have power outlet like you cruiser guys had but the battery is last about 5hrs when fully charge. I only use it when I had no idea where I'm at and I wanna go home quick :D

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited. I have my 665 mounted on my handle bars, with the power cord going through the opening in the fairing and have it tied into my cig lighter for power. It powers on and off with the bike and I have never had a problem.

I'm with you Tex. The HD/Garmin is "second mortgage" pricing, and you have to buy the mounting bracket on top of that! :no

For those using an automobile model GPS, can you read the screen o.k. in bright daylight?

i use a nuvi (older model) that i got off ebay for 30$, with a ram mount. for power i ran a 12 cig cable under my tank. it works great i also have a visor for it so there is not much problem with the sun. if so i just shade it with my hand if i need to..

ask Webtron works great for finding waste sites as well..:D

cheap easy and works well, let me know if you want photos.

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited. I have my 665 mounted on my handle bars, with the power cord going through the opening in the fairing and have it tied into my cig lighter for power. It powers on and off with the bike and I have never had a problem.

My 550 is mounted the same way on my 07 Ultra.

What about the GPS app for a smart phone and use mounting bracket ????

Problem with a smart phone is they usually can not be operated when wearing gloves.
Invest in a good quality waterproof motorcycle friendly (glove friendly) GPS unit.
I do have the HD Zumo but rarely use it.
I still prefer the reason why I got a bike to ride and read maps

Good luck with your choice but remember to always carry a paper map...it tends to make riding much better.

For those using an automobile model GPS, can you read the screen o.k. in bright daylight?

As long as the Sun is not directly on it , I can read the screen just fine. Biggest problem is when your glasses are polarized then you may not be able to read it without tilting it up/down.

I use a TomTom on a Ram mount. I also installed a USB port in the right side of the inner faring. This lets me run the Tomtom and Ican charge my mp3 player, cellphone or my tablet if I need to.

Back