free website stats program GPS Maps | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS Maps

This is basically unknown territory to me, but I'll throw out an idea. When I download music to my Ipod, I must make sure it is at, or in a specific format or the Ipod won't read/recognize it. I think it's called sync. ?? I remember when I updated my radio from a CD (ancient tech), it would hang up if I had not burned the disc in the correct format.

Just a thought, since you are on an international browser, could you possibly have downloaded maps in a different (aka - European map format?) I know when I spend time in Scotland, to search for specific U.S. things, I would have to load google.us rather than google.uk or whatever it was. The only other idea I have is try emailing a US dealer for assistance. ;) Good luck!

Usb memory sticks come formatted as fat 32 / 32 bit file allocation table has a file size limit of 4gb if the map file is larger than 4gb then the memory stick needs to be formatted as exfat or ntfs usually exfat if updating a gps unit in a car so i would think similar for a bike
Perhaps try and format the stick with a different file format prior to copying the map file to it

Brian

Thanks all, working long days till Friday, will try again and update then. Good info from all, much appreciated.

Well, I went to the dealership. They flashed my radio from the North America Region, to the European region. still no dice. Someone had said that the dealership has to override the US system to allow for European satellites. The dealership didn't know what I was talking about. I have tried to format ALL 8 of my thumb drives in all the different ways possible. I'm starting to feel like I was ripped off for $150 because this seems like an impossible task.

Time to settle for using Waze on Your smartphone.
I think that is what I am going to end up doing... I cannot stand the GPS maps on my new bike. This is something I should have looked at before but it doesn't look like I can just replace the Boom Box with an after market GPS/Stereo. I really thought that this would be such a no-brainer that I didn't need to go out of my way to search for alternatives but there I am making ASSUMPTIONS again! I am so spoiled by the navigation on my Android phones that the Boom navigation seems downright useless (not to mention that when I try to route from Flagstaff to Sedona it warns me that there are unpaved roads... The only unpaved road from Flag to Sedona is not even a passable road nowadays unless you have a high clearance 4x4. )

Back