free website stats program GPS Garmin "Zumo" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS Garmin "Zumo"

Well if you can pick up a Magellen 2200T Its water proof and meets mil spec. It can be had for under 100 bucks on ebay I have been using mine for 3years and it works great.

I appreciate the come back. But I want to install this device in the section of the fairing of 1993 EGC, where I use to have a fairing mount mirror. This makes it almost right next to the speaker magnet. On my other bike I had installed a compass in one of the gauge openings. The speaker magnet made the compass inoperable.

Zoood, I've used GPS on almost every ride for the last 5-6 years on dressers. The magnets don't seem to have any effect. I even have memory sticks that show no issues from being near other electronics in the dash.

GPS does not rely on the earth's magnetic flux lines to operate. It takes signals from 3 or more satelites and calculates a position and heading. Wil not be affected by speaker magnets like a compass.

I have a Zumo 550 for almost 3 years now and would not take a long trip without it. It has been through a driving rain in the Florida everglades and used in very cold winter weather. The Zumo is designed to use with gloves and works well with my heated winter Gerbing gloves as well with regular gloves. The ease of finding gas ,food or hotel room in an unknown place is priceless plus all the other information it offers. PRICELESS. Update software is free for life and is very easy to keep updated. Just this year Garmin is now offering map updates for $119.00 for as long as you own the unit. I have been buying yearly updates for $69.00 so the $119.00 is a deal.

The price is in line with other Garmin models. It has automatic re-routing, detour, multiple waypoint, auto-optimization, XM compatible, etc.

If you do a feature-function comparison, it's a reasonable deal.

If you don't need or want all those features, go another route.

You can go on line and shop for best price... I bought mine 3 years ago when Garmin was asking full retail and I saved several hundred dollars. Last month a friend of mine found one for even less than I paid. Use an American Express if you have one and they guarantee your purchase so you will not be ripped off..

We bought a Garmin recently, only $200, but no bluetooth or waterproof..
sits in a bag from Givi, with a waterproof pouch, works well enough.

I can spend 800 bucks on lots more interesting stuff :)

A word of advice, if I may: we had a Via Michelin GPS before,
took it thru the airport in Munich.. they did something to it, and now it doesnt work.

In Europe at least they are now making you open and turn on your laptops, buddy
comes by with what looks like a big magnet and sweeps the puter.
After, all temp files, cookies, browsing history.. gone.. wow

So, if you are flying, be careful with bringing these kinds of things through security;
dont know if anyone has a similar in the US, but they are getting weird over here.

I had inquired to Tom Tom about the location I wanted to do with their GPS and this is what they wrote back.

Dear RJ,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding how to mount your TomTom Rider. We are always happy to help.

At this time we do not recommend mounting the TomTom unit next to the speaker magnet. The magnet will interfere with the device hardware and might make it inoperable. We ask that you please find another place to mount your Rider on your 1993 Harley Electra Glide Classic.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Olga
TomTom Customer Support

So with that said. I'll go back to square one. I'll do the guy thing. I wont stop for directions. Ill just ride till I find what I'm looking for. lol

One other thing that I didn't think of is the fact that a lot of people use GPS with an XM or Sirius antenna mounted right on top of the GPS. These have strong magnets in them, and I've never heard of any problems there either.

you guy can down load a POI from PIO factory.com that will list All HD Dealer to your zumo. No need to pay any extra for HD ver. lot of riders post good POI's for rides. I will say the Zumo come with a good locking kits and a better loking mount.

Back