free website stats program Got Ultra back from Dyno | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Got Ultra back from Dyno

It makes very much sense. It can be tuned either way or down the middle for a combination of power and performance which will affect the numbers considerably. I would just enjoy the bike and not worry about the numbers myself as long as it runs good.

It runs well. I have no problem with the acceleration. It just pops a lot on deceleration. In fact it pops more now then it did before and some of the pops are even louder. I guess that makes sense if I was running lean and popping a little before, now that I'm not running lean I would get more popping. The torque curve continuously rises through the entire rpm range and finally starts to level off at about 5700 rpms.

I went back and talked to the dyno guy at the dealership today. He told me that with the straight through pipes I have, it is going to do the popping during deceleration as I downshift without any throttle. The Sampson pipes are straight through. He told me that putting SE pipes on would help because they aren't straight through pipes. He also said that stock pipes would stop the popping. He showed me a graph that showed my air/fuel after his tuning and it stayed between 13 and 14 all the way through the rpm range (1800 to 6200). He stated that before tuning that the air/fuel graph looks more wavy and during parts of the rpm range the bike can run too lean and during other parts of the rpm range it can run too rich. The SERT tuning he does, smooths the waves out and keeps it around 13.5, between 13 and 14.

Since I haven't driven many bikes lately or even been around many, maybe I don't know what to expect as far as popping when decelerating. I thought it was excessive but maybe what I'm hearing is normal for straight through pipes. I guess I need to listen to some other bikes more closely or have someone ride my bike to see if it is really excessive popping.

What do you think about all this?

Sounds about right. The lower restriction in the pipes the more they pop on deceleration. It sounds like he's giving you the straight scoop.
Even the stockers will give a little poof on decel occasionally too.

I don't think he was trying to max the power, rather he was trying to get the best performance with reasonable fuel use. Does that make sense?

Ozoneman - Sounds as if you were satisfied with the tech that did your work. Is that the case? And was it Indy North HD by chance? Asking because I got an estimate from them last week on VH pipes, air box, and SERT. I had a lower bid at another dealer, but I'm trying to get some info on their skill levels. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
D.Orr

I got mine done by Southside Harley. The tech that did it is known as Dyno Dave. He has a good reputation for knowing what he does. Ask for Sam in the service department and tell him you know me (Aaron) and that I suggested them to you. Tell him that you want Dyno Dave to do your work. There is another guy that does dyno stuff too, but I don't know how good he is.

From what I've heard, Southside has more experienced techs than the other local dealerships. I don't know that to be a fact though.

I got mine done by Southside Harley. The tech that did it is known as Dyno Dave. He has a good reputation for knowing what he does. Ask for Sam in the service department and tell him you know me (Aaron) and that I suggested them to you. Tell him that you want Dyno Dave to do your work. There is another guy that does dyno stuff too, but I don't know how good he is.

From what I've heard, Southside has more experienced techs than the other local dealerships. I don't know that to be a fact though.

Thanks for the info. I'll check 'em out for sure.

Just picked up my new Wide Glide. Obviously it has the 96 c.i. engine. Had the dealer install Python pipes, Big Sucker AC, and retune the PCM. It pulled 76 HP on dyno, and 86 lb./ft. of torque. Seems to run pretty good, but I was hoping those numbers would be higher.

It runs well. I have no problem with the acceleration. It just pops a lot on deceleration. In fact it pops more now then it did before and some of the pops are even louder. I guess that makes sense if I was running lean and popping a little before, now that I'm not running lean I would get more popping. The torque curve continuously rises through the entire rpm range and finally starts to level off at about 5700 rpms.

I went back and talked to the dyno guy at the dealership today. He told me that with the straight through pipes I have, it is going to do the popping during deceleration as I downshift without any throttle. The Sampson pipes are straight through. He told me that putting SE pipes on would help because they aren't straight through pipes. He also said that stock pipes would stop the popping. He showed me a graph that showed my air/fuel after his tuning and it stayed between 13 and 14 all the way through the rpm range (1800 to 6200). He stated that before tuning that the air/fuel graph looks more wavy and during parts of the rpm range the bike can run too lean and during other parts of the rpm range it can run too rich. The SERT tuning he does, smooths the waves out and keeps it around 13.5, between 13 and 14.

Since I haven't driven many bikes lately or even been around many, maybe I don't know what to expect as far as popping when decelerating. I thought it was excessive but maybe what I'm hearing is normal for straight through pipes. I guess I need to listen to some other bikes more closely or have someone ride my bike to see if it is really excessive popping.

What do you think about all this?

I may finally get my decel popping fixed or reduced. I have my bike in the Indianapolis Southside HD shop today for 10,000 service and the dyno guy, Dave noticed it there. He had the service writer call me and asked if he could make a single adjustment on my bike. I then was connected to the dyno guy and he said after he dyno tuned my bike last time (back in March), he did some research to find out if he could do anything else to reduce the decel popping. He later found that he could change one of the settings that would only affect and help reduce the decel popping. So tomorrow he is going to put it back on the dyno for 10 minutes and make the adjustment. He says it won't affect any thing else and I will continue to get the performance and gas economy that I've been getting.

Needless to say I was surprised that he thought of me when he saw my bike. And he took the time to see if he could help improve my situation. I'd say this is pretty good customer service.:ap

I did an '03 Ultra today with a Super Tuner (which crashed about 20 times),SE stage 1 and V&H slip-ons.74 HP and 82 LB-FT of torque.I'll road test it tomorrow.Oughta run well.Big gains in torque across the board.Started out at 67 HP and 76 LB-FT.Didn't do a before test.The first pass was just the base map install.There's far more than just the numbers.

Back