free website stats program got pulled over for my "novelty" helmet | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

got pulled over for my "novelty" helmet

I would never buy a helmet on line.
Every brand and model fit different. A helmet that does not fit right is bad news.
There are deals to be had if you look around

I too would never buy on line for a helmet. To many local shops around within driving distance that I can't go and try on a helmet if in need for one.:newsmile055:

1- The Federal Government has given states monies to pull us over at random to check for insurance and license 2 - most states issue warnings for non DOT helmets. This was challenged a few years back in Federal court, The ruling at the time was it was a conflict of interest for states to decide what was legal and what was not:s

Thanks guys lol I hate buying anything online that I haven't held in my hand in a store. Things just never live up to what I'm expecting by the pictures but the stores around here seem to only have novelty or gazoo type mushroom helmet. The Gmax look pretty cool & the ultra low profile from outlaw does too lol wish they had pic of people wearing them
WAP.gif

Every brand and model fit different. A helmet that does not fit right is bad news.

The OP is not looking for safety just a helmet that is DOT approved. I would check out the local H-D boutique or if you have a cycle gears store close by to try on different ones.

The OP is not looking for safety just a helmet that is DOT approved. I would check out the local H-D boutique or if you have a cycle gears store close by to try on different ones.

Depending how insignificant your helmet is.....Just get a DOT sticker a place it on the back and you should not have any more problems.......

Did the Tail of the Dragon yesterday in NC/TN they had helmet checks set up on both ends and were busy writing guys with non-DOT lids.

Depending how insignificant your helmet is.....Just get a DOT sticker a place it on the back and you should not have any more problems.......

Not true...here in NE LEO's have you take helmet off & thoroughly check it...they know what is/isn't DOT certified...fake sticker on non-DOT will ose every time & then you need to wait for someone to bring you legal helmet, trailer the bike, or they confiscate. Not worth the risk...IMO.
:newsmile055:

Agree with Smitty, if it don't fit, it ain't right. I would think that local shops in your area will have DOT cert. helmets if you can't find something affordable at the HD shop. Just had to get a new one after the crash, went with an HD 1/2 with pull down visor, dull finish, very comfortable and lightweight.

Plus on line, you will never know how old the helmet is. You may end up with a helmet that is several years old as they try to move the oldest. The helmet material breaks down in time. When I go thru tech at the track, they will search the date to make sure it is up to code. The cops may not check this but that doesn't mean they won't start.

Back