free website stats program Going to be my first ride in the rain-Advice? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Going to be my first ride in the rain-Advice?

I agree with roadking. Don't ride when it first start raining, very slick. The biggest thing is to keep a lot more distance. Our bikes usually stop quicker then a car when its dry. When it rains you can't count on it stopping.

Watch out for exit ramps. Slow down. Not the service road exit ramps but the circle type. I've had the back end kick out a few times in the rain. My fault. Going too fast with a cage on my tail. Easy to correct but gets your heart going when it happens.
Also I have a windshield on HD, but on my Kawasaki, I rain-x my helmet shield to help see.

Last edited:
I agree with every thing that has been said but I would like to add what has saved me in a down pour. It was my full face helmet that had the feature of opening the front so that it became an effective visor to keep the rain off of my glasses! Whenever I ride and find my glasses or goggles getting foggy,( usually when it is cold out), I find that to be dangerous. When my glasses were getting droplets on them in that down pour my vision was seriously distorted on that busy highway. When I opened my visor to where it prevented the rain from blurring my vision, from that point on I could at least see where I was going! Btw, my buddy who was riding with me on that trip said that he was following me because he couldn't see where he was going!!

I have only ever pulled over once in all the rain miles I have done - the reason - I could not see the car in front of me due to wheel spray . my way of thinking is - if I can`t see them they can`t see me.time to get off road until traffic clears

All good advice here, an addition if you can do it, wear high visibility clothing so you can be seen easier by the cages!

Be careful when running over painted highway/street lines. Same can be said about metal manhole covers.
They all get slick!

Back