free website stats program Glacier National Park Ride | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Glacier National Park Ride

Time flies when you are having fun! The trip has been awesome so far. The weather has been great for the most part, just a little warm at times.

Departed Great Falls, MT on Monday 7/9 with a destination of the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton, Alberta. Along the way, we stopped at Many Glacier on the east side of Glacier National Park. Crossed into Canada at Chief Mountain and was selected for a "random vehicle search". :( They were quick in doing that and thankfully did not make me unpack everything. The overnight stay at the Prince of Wales was ok. Neat old building with lots of character. Was a little surprised at how dumpy the rooms are, have stayed at nicer Super 8's. But the views are spectacular.

On Tuesday morning, we headed north to Pincher Creek, AB and then west through Crowsnest Pass. It was a beautiful ride, with only a light wind. We've heard the wind in that area can be really strong and I was happy it was not. Crossed into British Columbia and headed through the town of Fernie. We came back into the USA at the Roosville border crossing, just north of Eureka, MT. No searches this time. :) Our final destination this day was Hungry Horse, MT where we stayed at the Tamarack Lodge. Great little place just east of town. Friendly folks and a comfortable room. We then headed into West Glacier to catch a 4pm Red Bus Tour up Going to the Sun Road. It was great to be able to relax and enjoy the sights while somebody else did the driving. It was well worth the $50/person ticket price.

On Wednesday morning, we loaded up and set out for the ride over Going to the Sun Road. I was a little nervous, but since we already did the bus tour, I could concentrate on the ride and not worry about the scenery I was missing. They have some pretty extensive road construction on the west side of the pass... One lane road, unpaved for several miles. But, the dirt/gravel was packed solid and fairly smooth. We got through early enough to not endure any waiting, but it was a slow crawl at some points which made for an interesting balancing act with a loaded down bike. We exited the park and headed back through Browning and Choteau, MT then caught hwy 287 south to I-15 and stopped in Helena for the night.

The wife catches a flight from Helena on Thursday and I plan to depart Friday morning for Cody, WY via the Beartooth highway.

Pictures of the trip so far are loaded to my photobucket album...

http://photobucket.com/dakotarob-mctrip2012?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click*

A great write-up and magnificent pictures Rob. I hope you continue to have a memorable trip. One day I hope to get to Glacier as I have never been there. I know how much time and effort is required to make the posts regarding your adventure, but rest assured those of us sitting at home keeping up with it sure enjoy the fruits of your labor. Best wishes and many more safe miles.

Thanks guys... Yeah, those animals think they own the road sometimes, don't they? :s

Fortunately, I got those shots from the tour bus. :D

The Beartooth highway was good, although I had a light rain on the upper sections. Felt good after the hot weather coming across on I-90 to Columbus, MT. When I got to Cody, WY, it was warm again.

Starting the ride east tomorrow. Looks like I'm in for upper 90s for the rest of the trip. Might stop by Devils Tower, WY tomorrow if the heat hasn't gotten to me, otherwise, I'll just get into Rapid City earlier and hide in the AC till Sunday morning.
WAP.gif

Made it home safe and sound...3206 miles total in 10 days. Added a couple more photos to the album linked above.

I decided to take off from Rapid City at 5am so I'd be in eastern SD by noon before the excessive heat advisory kicked in. Except for the wasp that found it's way into my vest (ouch x 3), it was a pretty nice ride until the last hour or so when it really started to heat up. :p

Overall, it was an awesome trip. Got to see some of the best scenery in the USA and a little in Canada, and caught up with some old friends too. The bike was very comfortable and handled the wind very well. I discovered yesterday that I had lost the bolt that attaches the right side tour pack mount to the rear fender. I went through some pretty rough construction zones and surprised that is all I lost.

The only issue with the bike was the engine pinging that persisted as soon as I got out of the flat midwest. Very annoying and I went through a ton of octane booster that only seemed to help a little. Guess I'll have the dealer check it out as I thought the computer should adjust for altitude changes. The hot starting issue I previously posted about in a seperate thread was pretty consistent on the 90+ degree days if I didn't let the bike sit for a while. The bike never failed to start, but I'll still talk to the dealer about it.

Can't wait for the next trip!

Glad you made it home safe and sound Rob. Although it's great being out on the road, there's no place like home. Hopefully you can get your bike squared away so it consistently runs like it should. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed of your adventure and hopefully you can do it as many times as you like. Best wishes to you.

Welcome home Rob!!! It's always so good to hear that folks make it back safe and sound. I know we're always relieved when we do. We loved hearing about your trip. Now that I have a moment, I'll check out the photos. Thanks so much for sharing this trip with us!

Oh those were such great shots!!!! Really, I just enjoyed the heck out of that slide show. Thanks again for sharing.
Sandy

I just wanted to say a big "thankyou" Dakota Rob for sharing your trip with us here. The pics were great! thanks. You made a nice trip and returned home safe and sound (except for one little bolt). I am happy for you and thanks again - I enjoyed reading your posts.

Bill

Back