free website stats program Getting rolling from a start - both feet down, or one up? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting rolling from a start - both feet down, or one up?

And whatever you do, make sure you've got your tongue stuck part-way out. I know that always helps my grand daughter when she is concentrating on a task!!! :p

I taught motorcycle riding for a few years with the Canada Safety Council Gearing Up program and we told our students to get used to having one brake on all the time you are stopped. That means right foot up on the brake when starting off from any stop. That gets you trained to automatically start that way if your on a hill. We would practice stopping on a hill, hold front brake, shift to neutral, release clutch,then pull in clutch, put in first gear, switch feet, hold rear brake, release front brake, apply a little gas, slowly let clutch out till pressure point, shoulder check, release rear brake while letting clutch out so you don't roll backward, and off you go. Pretty easy eh!

I don't put the bike in blooey gear at lights, leave it in first. I keep either my R hand or my foot on the brake unless I'm in the middle of nowhere with nobody in sight. It's way cooler to stop with only one foot down but wind, passenger movement etc. can make you use both feet.

I don't put the bike in blooey gear at lights, leave it in first. I keep either my R hand or my foot on the brake unless I'm in the middle of nowhere with nobody in sight. It's way cooler to stop with only one foot down but wind, passenger movement etc. can make you use both feet.

Must be an "Oklahoma thing!"

depends on which bike I'm on... On the glde, sportster or the new roadking 2 feet down. 1 foot down on the chop not a lot of choice left foot is the clutch hehe.

For me it is easier to pick both up when taking off. when stopping my left foot goes down first because i'm using my right for the back brake then i put my right foot down so that both are on the ground.

I was taught by Abate and they had us use both brakes as we stopped and shift to first before we completely stopped. Then the left foot went down as we stopped. We left it in gear so we could move quickly if we needed to avoid a car approaching from behind. After I am completely stopped, I'd put my other foot down but keep the front brake on so my brake lights are on while I'm stopped.

Many, many, many moons ago I was that cold I couldn't get either foot down. Now didn't that create a nice dilemma.

You'll figure it out just like the rest of us. It's all a matter of choice.

My personal favourite, if stopped at lights I know are not going to change for a while, drop into neutral and just keep a finger on the front brake so my light is on. On uphills, rear brake is a must, downhills front brake.

Just make sure your kickstand is up before starting off. I've seen many a novice rider leave it down and have all sorts of problems when turning left for the first time. Lefts are tight over here in OZ.:s

Unless I am uphill, using the rear brake, I tend to put both feet down for better balance and bring them both on the forward pegs as I release the clutch. Works for me.

Back